Issaquah 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Chinook

Issaquah 14

Post by Chinook »

The pile of wood is starting to look like a boat so I better start referring to her in the feminine, its probably frowned open these days but for more than one reasons that has been the practice.

I choose the Issaquah 14 to replace a 90lb Colman type canoe that has been a royal pain to portage so I'm keeping track of where the weight is going.
I'm using 4mm Okoume BS6566 ply at 12lbs per sheet, all the parts for the hull cut to shape weight in at 20lbs
7 liters of Epoxy and containers come in at 15lbs
I haven't weight the cloth yet but I got 6oz for the outside and 4 for the inside
If I can get the weight around 40lbs I'll be happy, I dare not go too light with the first boat, around here its not a question of if your going to hit a rock but how many and how hard.

I really like the shape, might have to build some smaller paddles

I was really concerned about pulling the ply in around the stern, didn't think it would take up that shape without a cracking sound so far OK. I stitched through from one side to the other and added pieces of wood to spread the load.

Lesson learned, don't use bailing wire to stitch even if its handy go to town and get some copper wire you will glad you did.
Colin
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Issaquah 14

Post by jbo_c »

Very nice work. Wish I was patient enough to make it that uniform.

Jbo
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Have a shuffle thru Artfull dodgers posts he built same boat.............and lives accross tracks from me ...............he is very happy with his boat.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Chinook and welcome aboard mate.

Man, what a first post! Your beautiful Sas' is half done! :D

I built the prototype Sas 16.5' and couldn't be happier with her. You are going to love this boat mate. 8)
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

I think the Issaquah looks very similar to the Sasquatch. I would love to see a up to date picture of one in the water I think the pictures I've seen have been of the prototype before the freeboard was reduced.
I looked long and hard at the Sasquatch 14 but decided i needed the extra beam and stability as there will normally be 2 small people on board.

A bit more progress

I won't fill the seams this way next time, I filled the seams completely in 2 stages, by then it was well and truly hardened so it took hours to get the tape off and the seams sanded, next time I'll take Matts' advice and pre coat with resin then fill and remove the tape before the filler has hardened.

The bow worked out OK but next time I will try putting 1/4" spacers between the ply from each side along the stem so the ends aren't quite so pointy.

Got the glass tape on along the seams today so tomorrow is the big day when the glass cloth goes on the whole hull, the wife is going to help so I cleaned up the workshop (a bit anyway)
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

I think the pictures I've seen have been of the prototype before the freeboard was reduced.
:shock: :shock:

That's the first I've heard of it mate.

Prototype Sas, need no modification in my opinion.

Your Issaquah is looking magnificent mate. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear its the pictures of the Issaquah that are of the prototype as far as I can tell viewtopic.php?f=8&t=132&p=592#p592 this was before the freeboard was changed.
I haven't seen any pictures of the 14' version in the water yet, hopefully I'll have some of my own soon although, it may be a while since the is still a foot of ice on the lake.
The ice is usually off some time in April which should be about right at the rate I go.
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

The cloth is on :D I was worried about this stage but with some help it all went well

We used a plastic spreader and a brush and it went well, only slight snag was that I left the resin in the workshop overnight so it was about 7C when we started which caused some problems with the pumps, it went better after everything warmed up.

Canoe weights in at 26lb so we have gained 6lbs with the fillets and glass cloth.
I've got some nice clear spruce for the gunwales, the wood for the outer half is 7/16x1" and weights in at around 3lbs so I'm really going to have to watch the weight, I'll have a look around around the lumber yard and see if I can find something lighter for the inside.

I've managed to get 2 fill coats of resin on since the pictures were taken and have been spending lots of "quality time' with my orbital sander :?
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Coming along nicely - looks like you've done a very good job on the glassing.

I don't know what is in the plans for this one but if you want to keep weight down have you thought of using scuppered inwales? I believe you can get the same rigidity for considerably less weight with these and you get the added bonus of having lots of places to tie things to. The downside is they are more work to install and sand but once they are in you have the lighter weight permanently.

Either way it's going to be a much nicer experience than your old 90 pounder!
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Got tied up in a neighbours project for a couple of weeks so progress has slowed, I took a few spare moments to take the canoe outside and get a good look at the lines from a distance. Sweet

The topsides still need more sanding and filling, the bottom is going to get one more good sanding and then I will start on the graphite coats.

Afloat on semi hard water

One disappointment has been the cloth around the butt strap is clearly visible, not sure what happened here the cloth was well wetted out and wasn't dry, a slight loss in clarity is visible close up. The cloth used however was from a different source than the cloth used on the rest of the hull, it was a piece of cloth picked up at the local hardware store that had been kicking around the workshop for a few years in a sealed bag. Not sure what the problem was, the cloth being a different brand or it's age or just the extra thickness.
I guess I can live with it or paint.

Edit. Now I remember, I used a different batch of resin on the fillets and butt straps and a fast hardener that was the same brand but nearly 2 years old, went off fine butt was probably the cause off the problem.
The rest of the boat was done with fresh resin