Trapper canoe build journal

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bruno
Type of boat I like: I like Trapper canoe.

Re: Trapper canoe build journal

Post by Bruno »

shawnkfl wrote:ok. i decided that i may have enough time to get this done. i bought more ply and started again. ......
That's very good news. :)
Bruno
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

shawnkfl wrote:well...i would like to say i did that. but i didn't. this time, i did it my way. not to say my way ir the right way, but it works for me anyway.
Well that is the beauty of building your own... you can do it your way. I don't agree but what works for you, works for you. 8)

But PLEASE be careful. I'd hate to see you have to start over again.
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

I have to agree with Matt .... PLEASE ... be careful on the build.

We do make them our way when it works for us , that has to be why we do it. I do all of mine my way and so far there has not been any troubles , anyway any big ones I could not get past. Might be why Matt never sends me the instructions on how to build them. :lol:

One thing for sure. The only thing that always comes back to bite you in the rear is when you get in a hurry and do some short cuts. It never works when you put the mule behind the cart thinking you might have a better view , a lot better to keep him in the front. :roll:

I wish you the best on your build and you know what works for you , so do it. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Chinook

Post by Chinook »

Well done I admire the spirit :D

When I did mine I left all the frames stitched in place after I did the initial tack welding, until I had all the seams filled and sanded though out the length of the hull on the outside, the stitches for the seams where out of the way but the frames where sort of holding things together, don't know if it made much sense but I think it help hold everything inline.
We all have our own ways of doing things the is no one right way, do it your way and have fun.

I keep looking at the pictures of your boat and thinking about my next build, she is so tempting :mrgreen:
shawnkfl
Type of boat I like: Canoes and Kayaks

Post by shawnkfl »

there is no doubt that this hull has beautiful lines. the images don't do it justice. i catch myself just standing back staring at her. you really have to see the hull together to appreciate the lines matt has done. it's even more beautiful than i had imagined. my build sequence is a bit different from most, i'm sure, but the end result will get there. it's no shortcut, that's for sure. my way is deffinately the long road. the last one that failed was my own fault. i simply added too much weight in it and it wasn't stable. the hull was fine as it was, but i'm SPAM about getting it perfectly fair. the extra weight and unstable saw horses was the demise. this one is going great. i got the hull fair and right now, all of the gunwales are installed. shes pretty rigid now. i think i'll change my sequence though. i'll pull the stitches tomorrow and then fillet the inside. after that, i'll tackle the outside, just to be sure she's good and strong before sanding. i'll snap some pics tomorrow to post up. hopefully i can capture how awesome this design really is. matt, if you design one 17'-18', i'll most likely build it too. an 18' would let me take my whole family out!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

shawnkfl wrote: matt, if you design one 17'-18', i'll most likely build it too. an 18' would let me take my whole family out!
I think that could be arranged. 8)
-Matt. Designer.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

:D :D Glad you're having another go at it.
Good luck..... :D :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Shawn,

I'm coming in at the tail end here, but want to make some comments.

First off, good on ya for involving the kids. You're not building a boat with kids, you're really building kids with a boat. Keep the tykes involved. I built a canoe for me and my granddaughter (now eight years old), and as I age out of it, she ages into it, and it will be her boat.

I've built several boats with Okoume and it twists a lot and never split or broke. Someone stiffed you on that first batch.

My experience has been to get the hull panels all glued together and solidly strong before I attached gunnels. Gunnels can work to change the shape of a hull because they each struggle to make the other conform to themselves. I hadn't thought, though, that a hull could break up just from gunnel stress.

Once that boat is usable, take those kids out in it. Buy each of them a paddle and their own PFD. Let them paddle it some, makes no difference how the boat will wander - let them paddle. Take them (probably one at a time) fishing, and help them clean and cook the fish. You will have hooked them for life. Then, camp overnight with them in the back yard. Cook something to eat over a fire (charcoal fire in a pan if need be). Let them help turn whatever it is in the frying pan. Let them help measure out the ingredients.

I agree with you about Tennessee. In the last couple of years, I've been going back and forth through Kentucky & Tennessee - VERY nice areas to live in there.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.