CrkdLtr's - Touring Pirouge TV log

Builder show and discuss their progress.
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

CrkdLtr's - Touring Pirouge TV log

Post by CrkdLtr »

Plans received. Time to go shopping. :mrgreen:
CrkdLtr

Re: CrkdLtr's - Touring Pirouge TV log

Post by CrkdLtr »

Spent the last 6 hours drawing and cutting the pieces out. I boogered up the bow end of one of the tumblehome pieces so I'm going to have to lay it out on some scrap, trace, recut and sand it back down to size.

I'm hoping I can do my best to keep from screwing up the outside wood so that I can put a stain and varnish on it as oppose to painting it this time around. I can't figure if I enjoy the building of these boats or the attention from building/paddling them. :mrgreen:

CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

Well, this whipper snapper still has a lot to learn about reading directions and cutting a line but we chalk up alot of "errors" to inexperience. I may have to make a second one minimize bad cuts and operator errors... :( And no... I will not post pictures of my errors... :lol:

footonthesea
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by footonthesea »

The chines look fair and the hull looks straight. Good progress.

Also, I have a set of those adjustable horses from biglots and found that by gluing a 3/4" dowel near each end of a 10' 2x4 (2 boards, 4 dowels), the boards slot into the holes for the bench "dogs" and make a great lofting/cutting/routing/clamping platform that won't slide but comes apart in a second by lifting the boards up. And because the benches have so many holes, the boards can be placed at many distances apart and at several angles.

Cheers.
"And so by the help of God, perhaps it will turn out after all that freedom and my boat can, just possibly, be synonymous." -Moitessier
CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

Just and update. I haven't abandoned the project, just had to put it on the back burner for a little bit. Buster brown came to the house last week and now I have 11 yards of 60" 4oz cloth to warp the whole boat in and a fresh gallon of resin.

I put the horse before the cart here though. How bad is it going to be if I can't tape up the seams or get a good coat of resin inside these cubbyholes... :oops: :oops: :oops:

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Do your best to get some cloth on those seams, especially on the bottom.

It's near the bow so it won't be too bad. That area is a naturally stiff part of the boat.
-Matt. Designer.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

CONGRATS on your start and looking Great 8)

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

Holy Heil... an update. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm just debating now if I want to lay any cloth or tape on the inside. I wrapped the outside on all panels and then folded it over the tumblehome panels and cut it on the inside seam of the tumblehome. I also put a piece of 6 oz tape on the middle seam inside and out. I've got 2 coats of resin on it inside and out. Think I'm safe with it the way it is or should I go ahead and tape the inside seams at least?
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Glass the inside with cloth,
Ron
CrkdLtr

Post by CrkdLtr »

tx river rat wrote:Glass the inside with cloth,
Ron
Better safe than sorry I suppose.