Touring Pirogue - Pacific Island Motif

Builder show and discuss their progress.
footonthesea
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Touring Pirogue - Pacific Island Motif

Post by footonthesea »

Hello,
This thread will summarize my experience building Matt's 16' Touring Pirogue. First, I would like to thank all the other posters who have contributed to these forums as their creativity and insight helped this build come along.

I have some build photos available at http://footonthesea.com/Projects/Boat/projects.html

The pirogue is made in fiberglassed okume BS1088 4mm ply (3 sheets), Raka 127 epoxy resin with 350 and/or 610 hardener. The waterline was finished with the graphite/epoxy mix described in the forums and trimwork was painted with Kirby's. The gunnels and thwarts are poplar.

I also made extensive use of the print-on-tissue paper technique (described in the forums) to realize my design goal of incorporating a hand-illustrated, horizontal totem with a Pacific-Island motif of stylized animals, masks, totems, hooks, and even a few Rongo-Rongo characters.

If I was begining the build now I would do the following differently:
1). While making initial hull fillets I would clamp on temporary gunnels to help overall hull fairness
2). Before installing the decks I would finish (as much as possible) all the epoxy work and interior fiberglassing of the hull and deck (making sure to leave the meeting joints unfinished for the strongest bond). Even relatively short decks cut off easy access to the hull's interior).
3). Make end-pours outside for maximum pitch control (I had to dam and pour inside due to low outside temperatures and the results are not as nice as a high-angle pour; which was not possible due to ceiling height). End-Pour in small steps with time to set between -those ends heat up fast if cupfulls are poured in.
4). Use a wheeled workstand with locking casters. Ideally, rough work (cutting, sanding, etc.) and detail work (epoxying, painting, etc.) should be performed in separate areas.

If anyone here paddles in central Tennessee look me up.

Cheers.
"And so by the help of God, perhaps it will turn out after all that freedom and my boat can, just possibly, be synonymous." -Moitessier
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Touring Pirogue - Pacific Island Motif

Post by dangermouse01 »

WOW, wow, wow :shock:
That is an awesome boat.
You really need to link some of those photos to your post.

Extra loud golf clap all around.
Well done.

DM
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

-Matt. Designer.
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Beautiful boat!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Foot On The Sea,

I like the way you think and analyze. Good going.

I figured Tennessee when I saw the rolling hills in the background. Beautiful country. The Cherokee knew what they were doing.

Is the inside bottom painted? Or poured? In use, have you found it to be slippery? Or brightly reflective? It came our much smoother thanthe last interior I did with a tight weave glass that wrinkled after saturation.

I read your comment about a doggie gate to facilitate inning and outing of a dog. I'm interested in what you have in mind? You're obviously a cogitator, and I like minds that think ahead.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
footonthesea

Post by footonthesea »

Thanks for the support and interest all, and thanks Matt for linking the photos.

The inside is painted with Kirby's topside oil-based marine paint. The boat hasn't been launched yet but I agree the interior will be on the slippery side so that is an issue I need to sort out. Initially, I may wax it like a surfboard for barefoot traction (many of the waterways here are very shallow and the stand-and-pole technique is going to be as frequent a mode as paddling). I am also considering adding sifted sand to the paint for a non-slip effect but need to test the method first. The marine suppliers here also sell non-slip paint if I can't make it work on my own. Actually, I hadn't considered glare from the sun :roll: -I'll post after lunch to let people know if this creates a problem.

I also forgot to mention in the original post that I will be varnishing brightwork per the plan's recommendation.

The interior is intentionally spartan and initial runs will use basic cushions and/or the folding, padded, on-ground style camp-chairs for paddling positions.

The dog ramp is for the JEM Buccaneer X I am working on now. That boat has a transom that will be cut-away at waterline and reinforced with a sealed, box section and separated from the main compartment with a bulkhead. I have stock plans so the mod will be outside their scope; but, I intend to build slow and careful.
"And so by the help of God, perhaps it will turn out after all that freedom and my boat can, just possibly, be synonymous." -Moitessier
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Thanks. I'd never heard of, or thought of, a ramp for dogs. Interesting.
Kayak Jack
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Foot On The Sea
I used to do a lot of water ski racing and fishing, I have used sand and it is like using sandpaper, I used pool salt (paint first then salt and repaint, use a seive to spread the salt), the salt will desolve and leave rough paint, good grip and skin left on the body when you get home, it will also reduce the glare.
It is also low cost and is the same colour.

hope this helps.

Bruce
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Ossie Bruce wrote:... I used pool salt (paint first then salt and repaint, use a sieve to spread the salt), the salt will dissolve and leave rough paint, good grip and skin left on the body when you get home, it will also reduce the glare. It is also low cost and is the same colour.
SALT - what a clever idea!
Kayak Jack
footonthesea

Post by footonthesea »

RE Dog Gate: I got the initial idea from a duck-w-mag online article (with photos) posted by someone who modified their boxy swampboat with a waterline level dog-deck. I plan something a bit different but the idea is the same and the benefits should be significant (e.g.: no spash water entry; stable loading; dog-solo loading; minimal performance compromise; water-cooled dog deck).

RE Salt: I will definitely try this on my next build; great tip, and thanks!