Laker dashboard

Builder show and discuss their progress.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Laker dashboard

Post by OnkaBob »

This is not a boat build but rather an "accessory" build.

The Laker cockpit is quite open and this has many good points but there are times when I wish for a smaller opening. Also, I do not want to put lots of holes everywhere for rod holders and the like, nor do I want any metal or plastic screw on parts. (Fussy ain't I? :) ). So decided to make an easily removable "dashboard" that will fit into the front section of the cockpit. The idea is to build a rod holder into it and possibly some other little features later.
It is a lot cooler here than in some other parts during winter and this may help a little with keeping warm too.

Made the under frame first - this will slide under the deck by 5mm or so to hold the dash in place. The cross braces are temporary.

Then cut 3 panels and wired them together as per usual build technique.

Then tacked and filled.

Glued to the frame.

Underside glassed and with frame attached.

Side view. The dash is lowered into the opening then slid forward so the channel grips the coaming. A shock cord loop over a hook will tension it in the forward position.

Still a bit to do yet: glass top, cut off rear temp brace, trim rear to shape, make and fit rod holder. I can't decide what shape to trim the rear edge to - could be triangular, curved or similar to the front of the coaming (only not so pointy). Leaning to the last one at this stage.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Laker dashboard

Post by jem »

Innovative!!
-Matt. Designer.
Tor
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Tor »

Great stuff Bob.

I'm so going to steal this idea for my South wind such a neat idea and somewhere for the cup holder... :roll:

Tor
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Yep......Top idea Bob !!
I think I'll have a go at that for my laker builds too :D :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Before you jump in guys be aware of what I think are 2 important design factors that I have only become aware of since test fitting:

1) Knee room - this affects both comfort and ease of entry/exit. Mine could be a little higher although I will get by. I am fairly small and don't need much room but would probably make the triangle in the middle a tad smaller next time to allow a little more height to be gained by the sloping side panels. Just for the record the triangle in mine is equilateral.

2) A coaming type lip or other stiffening device is needed on the opening (rear) side because pushing upward with the knees as part of a bracing effort (as you may do in chop etc) will cause flex and it will then pop off. You could make the lower lip wider than mine but if it is too wide then you can't fit the thing. Better to have rigidity.

Will post some more pics when I have the fastening points in. Put the first fill coat on the glass today but still need to finish smoothing inside the channel and epoxy coating everything.
Cheers, Bob

OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Attaching hooks are in. Shock cord loops tie permantly to eyes on underside of dash and loop over the hooks either side under the deck. The cords pull the dash forward and outward locking it firmly into place. It is possible to pull the unit back and up so it sits on top of the coaming and this gives a little more clearance for entry/exit. (Will cut the shock cord and use 2 separate loops later - this is just a test fit)

That pic made me realise how dirty it is, might have to give it a wash - down at the river this weekend :D .

Have decided to fit the seat a little forward of where I am in this pic so the forward bulkhead will become my foot braces. Bad luck if anyone else wants to borrow it :). This will make the knees sit a little further under and this seems comfortable at this stage.

Cheers, Bob

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Are you going to run a line of foam padding along the under edge of that fore deck? Looks like a shin banger there.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

No Jack - my knees fit under there and I'm sure it won't be a problem. Had a rock around in it and found the knees brace up against it at the sides and it's quite comfortable. Did have a stability problem though - couldn't get the durn thing to float upright in the shed :lol: .
Cheers, Bob