Hairymicks Swampgirl

Builder show and discuss their progress.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Jack,

I didn't mean to sound so stiff there, sorry mate. This boat is really, really stable. I reckon, that with some practice, i will be able to stand in her and throw a cast net. :D

On another note, I was a little ambitious re finishing the expoying yesterday. Winter arrived here yesterday, We had a total of 4 days of autumn, Now, it is around 0630, I am sitting in front of the log fire, (with my dogs) :D trying to psych myself into going outside.

It is certainly not cold by your standards, (there is not even a frost) but after so many months of continuous heat in the high nineties and above it is a real shock to the system.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

No sweat, Mick; I understand completely. No two of us would ever build the same boat the same way. Probably, no single one of us would ever build the same boat the same way twice. There's always another way to tweak it better, ehh?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Hi Mick. May I know what those ingot looking things and are for?
Louis
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi Louis,

They are lead ingots. A few years ago, I aquired a heap of scrap lead. I melted it all down in my forge and cast it into the ingots for better storage.

they are 6Kg each and I used them to weigh down the seat lid while the epoxy resin cured. They are just a weight to hold it down mate. rocks or bricks would do just as well.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I thought they were sinkers for the big guppies you guys fish down there. :D
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

:lol: :lol: Nah, mate. I saved the lead because I cast my own sinkers and quality lead is getting pretty hard to come by now. They came in real handy for this job though.

Got the top coats of epoxy on the seats today (I hope). Have just gone into town and got the 2 pack varnish. Should be able to start tarting her up tomorrow, Will post a couple of piccies tonight.

Are you anywhere near where the tornados have been hitting. I thought we had it tough over here. Saw about 30 seconds of news footage last night - devestating.
Regards,
Mick

lncc63

Post by lncc63 »

Ohhh so that's what they are! They look so nice I thought they were part of the boat. I'd laugh at my naivity out loud but I don't want to disturb the troops. :oops:
Louis
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Hi guys,

I sanded the bottom and sides again theis morning and put the first coat of 2 pack varnish on the outside. goodness it stinks! At least the bugs don't like it and the finish should come up pretty well. It has however, highlighted all the mistakes I made. :oops:

I have mounted a small keel to help reduce wind drift. When fishing, I like to point the bow at the mangrove banks and cast unweighted live baits under the overhanging trees. It is a pain in the butt to be continually correcting the boats angle. The keel is unnecessary for any other reason on this boat. it tracks very well without it.

Another piccie. In this one, you can see some of the staines in the ply from the wood flour. I have learnt from my mistakes here, and the next one should be much prettier.
Regards,
Mick

hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

All Done :D

Thanks to all the guys here who contributed invaluable advice and encouragement. I have really enjoyed building this boat and will definately by building more of Matts beautiful designs.

A couple more piccies.
Regards,
Mick

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Nice work. I can see you reeling in the fish already. OH watchout! Another bite off the larboard bow.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.