Laker for a first timer

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Laker for a first timer

Post by Jimmy W »

John, I am also planning on doing one almost exactly as you described. I also think that Mick is planning on his Sneaky Laker to be about the same. It will probably be several months before I get started on it. I might make 2 and give one to my sister's kids.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

What did I miss, Bruce? Is that a see-through decking?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

glad that my pics are creating some thought.

Jack, I'm not sure what you mean. I plan on decking the laker as per plans. Just thought I would paint the underdeck areas white for some unexplainable reason. After everything else is finished I plan on cutting hatches in the fore deck and aft deck. Someone on the site recommends painting the underside of the deck white to increase light reflectivity, and I just thought I might as well paint the entire area white. Originallly was going to paint the cockpit as well, but my wife (who the boat is for) wanted to leave it natural. Also, last weekend I went to the Pirates Cove Wooden Boat Festival in Josephine Alabama, just a few miles from my home. Someone there had a kayak that was painted white, and I thought it looked pretty good. Since the resin should be covered, either in varnish or paint anyway, I elected to paint. Originally, I thought I would be painting the outside as well, but after seeing how good it looked with the resin on it decided to leave it bright. Anyway, as a friend says, It's good enough for who it's for.

Bruce
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

Finshed painting the bottom side of the deck today:

Also spent a lot of time sanding to get ready for putting varnish in the cockpit before bonding the deck to the hull.

Won't be too long now.

Bruce
waky53

Post by waky53 »

Painting the inside white is a brilliant idea (pun intended)
When we used to go car rallying, years ago, we had the engine compartment painted white & it was great at night or in low light situations to be able to see things a lot better.
Another idea for when I eventually start on my canoe.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Since Kayak Jack is on a paddling trip , let me fill in for him , so to speak. :lol:

That is one of the things Jack likes to do to his kayaks , he maintains it helps him when he checks under the decks to see if any dry bags are still there. Which makes a lot of seance since a lighter area is easier to see stuff hiding in there.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Or you could paint it black, and paint everything white that goes in there :D
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

The Laker is coming along. I've gotten the deck installed, glassed and finished:

Also have started to install the cockpit coaming:

I'm going to be out of town for another week starting Sunday. Another delay, but it should be finished and ready for the water a few days after returning. This project took a couple of months longer than I expected, and actually still won't be done with the coaming on since I want to install hatches yet. That can wait till after launch, though. I'm looking forward to seeing how it floats.

Bruce
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

I think I know how you feel Bruce - it takes a fair while to get to the almost finished stage and then the little things just drag on and on. Have had mine out twice and am still working on the seat arrangement.

Yours is still looking good - should be a stunner on the water 8) .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

A Great Job and when its done it will have been worth every hour :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson