SOT design - Group Project

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Hi Raumati,

Welcome aboard mate.

Since when have Kiwis ever been prepared to be considered as tokens? :lol: :lol: Nice Maori name bro :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Raumati

Post by Raumati »

Hey Mick I've been following your swampgirl on the aussie katak fishing forum.

Raumati is where I live, it means summer in maori.Where are you in Qld?
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day mate,

I live just north of Maryborough in SE Qld. about 300 klms north from Brisbane.

I am surprised by the interest she has stirred in that forum. Second highest number of views and posts - ever. Had quiet a few PMs about her too. it seems that a lot of blokes are considering having a go at building something themselves. Can only be a good thing.

Will send you a PM mate. don't want to hijack this thread.
Regards,
Mick

ausie

group project

Post by ausie »

may I join your group?

I have built a GV11,CC14 now converted to sailing proa,a 15' Aussi designed surf ski, & just finished a Gavin Atkin "Cinderella" 12' canoe.

Wife has decreed that I have too many boats,she prefers the ski & she MIGHT just let me do a tandem sit-on kayak if I can find a good design!...provided I get rid of all of the above,except the GV11.

We are just retired & looking for a 25'-30' wooden cruiser,so I will have to build an 8' dinghy won't I!?...but thats another story.

I'm delighted she is keen on the tandem sit-on kayak,so that's my motivation for joining this group.I'll bone up on what's transpired here so far & will happilly respond with any ideas that come into my head.

Thanks,

Allan Burke.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Aussie,
Welcome to the forum mate.

Am sure Matt will be able to work something out for you. He is currently working in a high performance solo SOT for me for fishin at the moment and I am very,very happy with what he has come up with.

Am just putting the finishing touches on one of his swampgirls at the moment. His drawings are compleat, easy to follow and come with very clear instructions. Who could ask for more?

Re the cruiser, might I recommend one of the couta boats from Victoria. Very good sea boats and there are still a few around.

Good luck mate.
Regards,
Mick

ausie

group project

Post by ausie »

Thanks Mick.

Dunno about you, but I am getting pretty confused with all the boat building sites.....JEM seemed to be something attached to [edited],then the old Amateur Boatbuilder sort of waned & is now back in its own right.They all seem to be somehow related,but at the same time different.

Maybe I should give up drinking my home brew & go back to light beer!....but I'm too confused to decide!

Al Burke.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mate,

i am confused all the time. :D Must be the home brew.

as I said before, i am just finishing off a swampgirl. I reckon that without too much thought- or effort, this boat could be fairly easily modified into a two man SOT. She has the length, initial stability and adequate performance.
Regards,
Mick

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

JEM Watercraft is only in a business realtionship with www.boatplans.dk . Morten, the owner of that site, and I work together and help each other out.

Amateur Boat Builder is a site dedicated to all designers and all types of boat building. I do some advertising over there and participate in their forum.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Matt,

Any thoughts on a two man version of this SOT?
Regards,
Mick

ausie

group project

Post by ausie »

Thanks Matt, I'll try to get unconfused!

I am truly interested in sit-on kayak plans & look forward to being involved in any discussion.

I built the GV11 & CC14 from that other (edited )site back in 2001/2202 when when ABB was part of what I perceived to be the parent site.Obviously times have changed & I need to get up to speed with the present.

Al Burke.