CAPE FEAR SOT

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

CAPE FEAR SOT

Post by preacher »

I really like everything about the CAPE FEAR SOT except the very front of the boat. I think this thing would be really awesome if the bow ended in a point rather than sloping back in.

But, I like the boat enough to purchase it the way it is and build it as soon as I finish my Pirogue(s), which are my practice boats.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: CAPE FEAR SOT

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

I'm pretty sure if you PM Matt he can change that one top hull strip and expand the front deck forward for you with no problem for a small charge. I know when i was PMing him on the new style wadefish changes he did them with no sweat :wink: But if you think you might take it BTB it might be best to have the bow rounded off if you stuffed it in the surf :idea:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
preacher

Post by preacher »

I haven't even thought about BTB since Ike, but I could be changing my mind when it warms up. Not for sure if I would use the CF for BTB or not, but if I did I would have to bring it in the shallow surf at an angle over the first bar. I'm really not as agressive as some of the guys when it comes to BTB, I really like low surf.

Mainly I'm interested in chasing some large trout at some of the oyster reefs in the bay. Those things (the good ones) are a good 3 - 4 mile paddle. I don't mind paddling that far I just lose some good fishing time in the early morning and evening fish.

I'll take your suggestion and PM Matt and see what he says.

Thanks Mike
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Preacher you are ruined, two boats built and planning the third in what 3 months.
Ron
preacher

Post by preacher »

tx river rat wrote:Preacher you are ruined, two boats built and planning the third in what 3 months.
Ron
That's not the total of it all!

I am building a new 2 story 16X20 shop garage in my back yard just for my boat building.

Oh . . . and fishing stuff :roll:
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Preacher
You need a lantern you are so far on the dark side :lol:
Ron
preacher

Post by preacher »

I would love to post something new on here, (like some progress on my Cape Fear) but I have only found one place in all of Dallas, Fort Worth metroplex that carries the Okoume BS 1088. When I contacted that company they wanted black market prices plus delivery. I have some spotted in Houston which is 25% cheaper but not cheap.

Still looking.

When I find it I may buy up a large amount, very large amount, maybe even crazy amount, so I will have it if I (my friends) ever need it.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

That's one reason i didn't use it "Over Priced for what it is" :roll:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Preacher,

Re the oloume/gaboon BS1088 ply, Prices for it have gone through the roof here too.

I don't think I'll bother with it anymore. With my last order, I got a couple of sheets of stuff they are marketing here as Luann in 3.6mm thickness just to look at and is real nice looking ply. A little heavier than okoume but not that much nd at less than a quarter of the price, It will be good enough for me.

Initially, I built my first boats out of 3.2mm (1/8") interior furnishing ply that was crap compared to this Luann and even they turned out to be fine boats. Chuck did a post in his forum somewhere along the lines of the ply is just the filler between the fibreglassand to a degree, I agree with him. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Mick...

I will behave myself on Matts web site .... Just deleted a lot of what I was going to say ........ Anyway , I have been using what Kayak Jack calls the inferior wood ( Luann) to make my boats and after 9 years they still look new , float , are light weight and do everything they did when I made them. Even the ones I have given to friends. :D

The real thrust of the matter is that we do not use a preformed mold to put the glass in to make the boat. Might say we do it backwards from the commercial boat makers , they get thousands of boats out of there mold , glass or plastic , we get one. That one has all those lovely wood tones to it and looks like a wood boat.

We make a form and then encapsulate it with the glass to make a boat and let the wood show threw it. The form or skeleton/shape/character of our boats is the wood that everything else is attached to.

The idea of making a wood boat is to save on the cost and using the $10.00 a sheet over the $85.00 a sheet stuff sure is a savings.

Chuck..
PS. If the wood is not the filler , then what is it that creates the shape of the boat. :roll:
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler