cridgie down under final pics laker 14 posted sunday

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
cridgie down under

cridgie down under final pics laker 14 posted sunday

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi spent all weekend final fit of fittings and all accessories ie wheel trolley ,seat paddle and all primped up ready for fishing
I have loved every minute of building this laker they are certainly a lovely looking yak and i am looking forward to wetting her bottom some time this week . we have been hit again with heavy rain and gale force wins ,however not quite as bad as last month so as soon as the flood water recedes to a safe level i will see if she floats .
i wont try to describe the pics hope ive done you proud Matt
no.1
no 2
no 3
no4
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: cridgie down under final pics laker 14 posted sunday

Post by OnkaBob »

Ray that's absolutely first class!

Love the way it's kitted out - it takes the expression "better than a bought one" to a new level 8) .

Hope you get well and truly slimed on the first trip :D.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Ya dun gud. Nice workmanship, and nice accouterments. May I ask, what is the vertical stick that will be by your right hand? I couldn't make it out or figure it out.

Speak some more to the trolley? Not only how you built it and materials, but if there are any improvements you think up after using it some?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice!!!
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Jack,

I think that the "vertical stick" is a donger - a piece of heavy wood used to subdue fish before bringing them aboard. Not only dispatches the fish more humanely but also protects the paddler from being stabbed by spines while the fish is thrashing around.

Either that or it's the handbrake :lol: .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

Hi perhaps we should run a small contest on what the wood is in the right hand location , actually i love the hand brake theory . it is actually my filleting fish knife with a wooden handle in a thick leather scabbard.The kayak is all pvc 1.1/4" inch
tubing with bends and T pieces all pre fitted and then when satisfied glued together. the original design did not have a continuous galvanized threaded rod as the axle .i found it is much stronger this way .
thanks all for your comments ,i tried to make my kayak as good as hairy micks, i may not have succeeded, however it gave me an excellent bench mark to strive for.
regards cridgie down under
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

with the hand brake and exhaust stacks out the back, where is the Kentworth badge?? (the aussie version of a Mack truck)
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Ossie Bruce wrote:with the hand brake and exhaust stacks out the back, where is the Kentworth badge?? (the aussie version of a Mack truck)
Thats what I thought , a couple of smoke stacks for laying down a smoke screen when getting away from those pesky Jet Skies. Then when into safe water they are transformed over to rocket launchers to fire into the jet ski area.

Yes Sir , You did a beautiful Job on building this Laker and did not forget a single thing. That coaming on the cockpit is outstanding. :D

Chuck.
PS. Here in Florida we do call them rocket launchers , it sounds better then rod holders.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Back to the parking brake: disk or shoe? :roll: It could also be the handle for an ejection seat?

I like the idea of a steel axle in the Toonerville Trolley.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
slider
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by slider »

Cridgie, I like the seat. Was that a lawn/patio chair with removable arms? I have been looking at a few and thinking about cutting them down but the ones I have seen,. the arms/back are molded together and cutting off the arm section looks like it would sacrifice strength (back seems like it would be flimsy afterwards).