Native Ultimate Plans

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Native Ultimate Plans

Post by jem »

Wannabe wrote:Matt,
That is what I was looking for. Might be tricky launching off a cement boat ramp unless they fold up or something. Sounds expensive.
Bob
The drive is held down by a couple of twist-out knobs and is easily removable while on the water. So you can launch, paddle, or pole in real shallow water.
-Matt. Designer.
mud390
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by mud390 »

Those fins can also be pulled up against the bottom of the boat. I would guess they would only hang down another 2" or so below the lowest part of the boat.

Kris
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Seems like I could just scale up the one I drew, add a sub floor and drive well, and that would be it. Might have to add a skeg up front for track with those drive fins. Build would have to add a rudder.
-Matt. Designer.
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

If the drive was mounted in the tunnel, it would have to stick down enough so that the blades wouldn't hit the sides when they came up. That seems like it would mess up water flow through the tunnel.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

hmmm.... good point. Hadn't thought of that. Anyone get a look at the bottom of that thing? I see it has like a rear pontoon effect.

But does it start mid-hull or ...?
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Only guessing here, but I think there is a mid hull to house the drive assembly.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Jimmy W

Post by Jimmy W »

Matt, watch this video it shows the bottom of the Hobie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr9Q36KAgc
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

That thing is a beast. I'd be willing to try and do something but it would require a full custom design fee with non-refundable deposit.

I've gotten hosed on these type projects before.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Thanks for the link mate.

Too big, too heavy and too complex for my tastes but some very good ideas there.

I really like their new rudder set up and their front hatch. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It has some great ideas and features. But it starts getting too complicated for the amateur boat builder to design everything in to be built.

If I were to design something like that it would be tough to do the bottom. Look the video about 5:54. You can see the lower hull is almost like a regular hull bottom and then the pontoons start to form after the drive well area.

I bet a wide canoe or pea-pod style row boat with very fine entry would work nicely. Would have to add a little something on the stern to keep it from squatting when seated. It look like they designed it for optimum balance when standing, which is done forward of the seat.

I like the rod tubes, and rod handle storage area. That could be done real easy. The cutting board platform/storage right in front of the seat is neat and I like the replaceable mount mini deck things up front. That's a cool idea for not having to drill into the main hull to mount stuff. A builder could incorporate a couple nut plates into the hull to duplicated that removable platform.

But the biggest challenge would be the drive well. I haven't gotten enough feedback from Aloha Dan about it what I drew up for him worked. He mentioned some adjusted that had to be made.
-Matt. Designer.