Native Ultimate Plans

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Native Ultimate Plans

Post by Manjimike »

Wannabe wrote:Matt,
That is what I was looking for. Might be tricky launching off a cement boat ramp unless they fold up or something. Sounds expensive.
Bob
If you push both pedals forward, the fins fold up against a normal chine hull.
I still have my Mirage drive ready 4 when Aloha Dans' "Pelagic" becomes a set of plans (and I get my shed built)
Cheers
Mike
Last edited by Manjimike on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

What do you This one would weigh Matt
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That has such a unique hull shape and has lots of features, I'd have to run a formal estimate to get an idea of weight. To do that, I'd have to have something sketched.

Maybe 75-80 using okoume? I really don't know. :oops:
-Matt. Designer.
CrkdLtr
Type of boat I like: Pirogue

Post by CrkdLtr »

I figured once you saw the bottom of the Ultimate Angler you'd shudder. Looks like this one would be better to buy and save a lot of headache and frustration.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Yea that one is a little complicated. I could draw it and it could be built. But is anyone nuts enough to go through that much? If you REALLY like building and the challenge of a project, and you're absolutely sure it's the kind of hull you want, you might just qualify. :mrgreen:

Definitely test drive that baby before saying "ok, I wanna know more". :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Manjimike wrote:
Wannabe wrote:Matt,
That is what I was looking for. Might be tricky launching off a cement boat ramp unless they fold up or something. Sounds expensive.
Bob
If you push both pedals forward, the fins fold up against a normal chine hull.
I still have my Mirage drive ready 4 when Aloha Dans' "Pelagic" becomes a set of plans (and I get my shed built)
Cheers
Mike
G'day Mike, and thanks for our input mate.

This Mirage drive has intrigued me ever since I first became aware of it. The problem I have with it is its purchase cost. The drive unit costs more that the entire rest of the boat to build. This, to my way of thinking defeats the purpose of building our own. Then, one has to consider a hand steer rudder assembly of some sort.

Having said all that, I think Matt has better hulls in which to mount a Mirage than Dan's Pelagic. Sabalo and Cape Fear are two of these. Southwind and Sasquatch are equally suitable, only in SOT configuration.

If and when I finally get round to building this Ultimate, I think I would be inclined to build it with the designers aims in mind. Exteme stability and fishability in a relatively simple build. Set it up with a comfy seat, leccy motor and big cooler and just head off into the sweetwater. Lovely. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

hairymick wrote:
G'day Mike, and thanks for your input mate.

This Mirage drive has intrigued me ever since I first became aware of it. The problem I have with it is its purchase cost. The drive unit costs more that the entire rest of the boat to build. This, to my way of thinking defeats the purpose of building our own. Then, one has to consider a hand steer rudder assembly of some sort.
Yeah thanks Cobber,
I bought mine 2nd hand from the US, but to put it into perspective, if you have to purchase a leccy motor and a deep cycle battery, you probably won't get much change either way but you will have a lot of extra weight. Hand steering shouldn't pose a problem.
Having said all that, I think Matt has better hulls in which to mount a Mirage than Dan's Pelagic. Sabalo and Cape Fear are two of these.
Both those are excellent craft and there is a full build article on the Sabalo with Mirage drive on Duckworths, but I liked what the Pelagic was being designed for (even tho I can't recall it all off the top of my head :oops: ).

Cheers Mike
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Manjimike wrote: Both those are excellent craft and there is a full build article on the Sabalo with Mirage drive on Duckworths

Cheers Mike
Mike any chance you can post the link I can,t seem to find it
:(
Cheers
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

for those interested in the mirage drive I can atest to it's functionality and durability.been using one since 06 both on Texas rivers and now exclusively in the salt, outstanding piece of kit. only damage ever done by a submerged boulder on the brazos and that was fixed on the river bank (large rock makes passable hammer) relative handsfree fishing can't be beat.

MM
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Post by Yohan1973 »

Not to derail the direction that this thread has taken but I think the Ultimate's shape would make for a great little strip build yak rather than a S&G.