Canoe or kayak for Texas Water Safari

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jdfdave

Canoe or kayak for Texas Water Safari

Post by jdfdave »

I just completed the Texas Water Safari a couple weeks ago. I was wondering which one of your current plans either a canoe or kayak would be best for this type paddling event. I built the touring pirogue 2 years ago and it is a great little boat, but I need one with a faster hull design for this event. Any suggestions. Oh yes, I have been told by more than one persons, that wooden canoe or kayaks, just are not suited for this event, but I think one would be if built right, and paddled properly.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Canoe or kayak for Texas Water Safari

Post by jem »

Is it mostly calm water or do you get into to some soupy stuff?

How much gear do you take?

A decked canoe like the North Wind or South Wind would do well. Mick is gearing up to prototype a touring kayak I drew but it's likely doesn't have the capacity for a longer trip.

Do you desire an open cockpit or prefer a spray skirt?
-Matt. Designer.
jdfdave

Post by jdfdave »

The water safari is 260 miles long. It has some class 1 and class 2 rapids, long stretches of open river, and at the end of the race, 5 miles of open water across a bay to the finish line. All gear, food and supplies must be carried on the canoe or kayak. The race has a time limit of 100 hours to finish. This year, my team mate I completed it in 94 1/2 hours. To finish the race you must be capable of averaging 4 to 6 miles per hour over that 100 hours. We used an metal canoe this year which weighed 150 pounds with all our gear and boat. I hope that gives you some kind of idea.
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

jdfdave, Are you wanting to do it with a team mate in the boat again or solo?
jdfdave

Post by jdfdave »

I am open to the idea of a tandem, but would prefer a solo boat. I think gear would weigh somewhere around 40 pounds total I might add. I weigh 160 pounds.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

The North Wind is closely modeled after the Kruger Sea Wind. I'd take a look at that one. Consider adding a rudder or at least prepping the hull for while you build.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

North or South Winds will do the job easily, also consider Okwata, Smaller, lighter and possibly faster in the long run.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Mullet_Key

Post by Mullet_Key »

If solo - Freedom 15, Kevlar tape on keel and chine. Graphite in epoxy below the water line. Or ask Capt. Jack
Pygmy Arctic Tern
JEM Swamp Girl -15
JEM Wadefish 15