SOT and SINK conversion

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

SOT and SINK conversion

Post by tx river rat »

sot and sink conversion
I did this simple little sketch a long time ago but might give some ideals.

any hull that is stable and wide enough,needs two sealed bulk heads. two scupper hole in the foot well area that are sealed off with two plugs when paddling as a SINK

Block of foam cut to fit inside the area between the bulkheads fit to inside hull.
Carve in seat and foot wells ,very easy to shape with a wire brush on a drill,drill a 1/2 hole from the low part of the seat at an angle to the foot wells. This will drain the seat

In the foot well drill and install two tubes extending below the foam about an inch glue in then install o rings on the part sticking below the foam.
When you want to install to change yak to a SOT remove the plugs from the hull inset the foam plug ,plastic scuppers below the foam with o rings will slide into area where the plugs were.
Wala a sit on top .
The foam can have a coat of epoxy to seal it.
Red neck enginering
Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: SOT and SINK conversion

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Can't you glass foam also,like when they build those overhead consoles in glass boats :?:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I see what you mean Ron. Sort of creating a "plug" to fill the volume. That's a pretty clever idea. You can glass closed-cell marine foam.

Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam) doesn't get along with epoxy and melts with polyester resin.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I thought you could epoxy most foams without to much problem,you can paint foam with latex house paint and the go over it with polyester ,I have done that.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Styrofoam doesn't work out so good with bond strength.

Even with the blue insulation foam, you have to remove that outer skin to get a good bond.

But if it's just a "gap filler" and has nothing pulling on it, then the need for bond strength significantly decreases.
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Us Composites sells a two part marine foam.
Darrell Sykora