Buccaneer Xtreme (Prototype)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Chalk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Chalk »

I feel like I have been working on one spot for three weeks...I have :shock: :oops:

Been working on the back deck...mainly sanding (killed five sheets of 80 grit - by hand :oops: )

I did get the fish/ice box finished (other than paint) this weekend - She measures 11 x 11 x 33. Should be good for a few fish and some drinks. Layup is luan with 6 oz fabric. I taped the fillets first then covered the bottoms and sides, covered the bottom twice. Foam board is regular 3/4" blue board from lowes. Filled the corners and under the floor with two part foam...should be pretty efficient.

I used a 1" dowel to make fillets, man have I been missing a good tool..always read about it...try it...its the bomb compared to a spoon or stick.

Here's a shot of the back area, all foamed and glassed in - she just needs paint and a deck.

Speaking of deck here is the sand paper killer and hand blisterer. With a coat of micro slurry to kill some more sand paper.

Close up

Bow Eye holes drilled

That's it for now
Eat.Sleep.Fish[Be the Fish]
Chalk
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Chalk »

After two miserable weeks in Italy I was able to work on the Chackillac some more this weekend. Finally installed the back deck after much deliberation and sanding...was the sanding finished - no. After talking to the man responsible for giving me the boat building bug...he summed it up a few short words - "You'll sand and sand and sand, at some point you will say screw it" :lol: I found that Zen moment :-D

Gonna have to do some more filling inside the compartments, but she is glued and fiberglassed in.

Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Goodness - that's a complicated boat. Lots of pieces and inner pieces of construction for you to do. I hope you enjoy that boat as much as you did Italy, Chalk. You said miserable with tongue in cheek, I expect.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Chalk,

I bloody LOVE what you are achieving here mate. :shock: 8) I can't believe your attention to detail with this one.

Bloody hell, a dedicated fishing skiff, made and fit out by a fisherman who knows what he is doing. It just doesn't get any better than that.

I just can't see how this boat can possibly be anything other than a winner!
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Jack - It's only complicated because I changed somethings - built as designed would of been easier. No tongue and cheek with Italy - that place was the pits...the beer was good though and the scenery was nice - if you follow me :D

Mick - I hope she turns out to be a fishing machine, that's what we designed her to be. I just hope I haven't over built her...I can still pick her up, well one end at a time that is

:lol:
Cracka

Post by Cracka »

Awesome!!!!!!!!
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

It being designed as a fishing machine explains why I have difficulty understanding it. "Fishing", to me, is when I'm trying to locate car keys in my pants packet. I don't understand fishing (nor fishermen either, for that matter) very well at all. You guys are way too complicated for me.

I look at water, think fish, and immediately start thinking something like "volley ball net" dragged through the water, or many baited hooks hung from a common line and checked every morning, etc. You guys think action, and I'm thinking pounds of production. I don't fit in well at all. sigh

Hanging head in shame here, shuffling off inta sunset, swigging frosty beer in remorse
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Re: Buccaneer Xtreme (Prototype)

Post by Chalk »

Well I have been to Hawaii and Japan, that's my only excuse for no posts, but it seemed to take two weeks to get over the jet lag from Japan, that place will mess your system up. Eating breakfast for supper and having an adult beverage for breakfast :shock: :lol:

I have most of the stringer battens in place for the floors. I poured foam into the front hatch area and laid the floor down. I moved some plumbing forward and need to install the forward floor. Man that sounded easier than it was :?

Cardboard templates was the key to making the floors and having them fit good.

Hope to have the main floor in place and the front deck "planned" out by year end. Thinking of rigging and painting more and more each day. Spent a good bit of time debating on a fuel tank and it's location. Decided it couldn't be decided until it is on the water. Making the front area with a hatch with three options for a fuel tank. Near B bulkhead, near A bulkhead or forward of A bulkhead. Will have to see how she planes out and carries herself at WOT. I may need some weight forward if she porpoises. Only one way to tell and that is on the water under power.

Inch by inch it's getting there.

I built this snazzy rod rack to for less than $20 too

Cracka

Post by Cracka »

G'day Chalk, any progress on the boat. Hope all is well.

Mick
Chalk
Design Reviewer

Post by Chalk »

Mick,

I have the front floor installed, main deck cut out and floor battens installed. Need to add floor foam...front deck is cut out and side tabs installed. I made a mold for a front hatch for the front deck. Not real happy with my rear deck, probably gonna cut it out and redo it.

Working on it when I have time - decided to go back to college and finish my degree, working full time and a father of two...doesn't leave much time. I have some vacation time coming up...was planning on making a big push to get the final pieces in place and move into painting....I"m really close, just finding or making the time is the biggest problem