WORK BENCH (UP DATE)

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

WORK BENCH (UP DATE)

Post by preacher »

Hopefully my new shop will be completed next week and I'm setting it up for my boats and fishing stuff. I'm just not happy with the table I set up to build my boats on. I want something that I can roll from side to side (or turn), about 30 inches wide (max) and about 16 feet long (?).

I'v seen some glimpses of some set ups on this forum that were really interesting.

Any ideas :?:

This is what I have now.

Last edited by preacher on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preacher

Re: NEED HELP PLANNING

Post by preacher »

This is what I'm contemplating

confusedSea
Type of boat I like: Swind17 dk sasq

Post by confusedSea »

I don't want to rain on any parades, but...

While that table design certainly looks interesting, I'm left wondering how you're going to get the Kennedy space center concrete contractors to lay the slab in your new building (or got them to lay it in your old building). For that to work as drawn, there has to be precious little variation in the surface contours of the floor.

Unless you're going to put in some sort of adjustment mechanism for each caster, you either:
1.) will get casters that are floating above the floor and a surface that could teeter :? , or
2.) will get a wavy work surface as the casters do conform to the floor, and so does the table top :cry:

Just some thoughts.
jtz
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

A simple bench made from an aluminum ladder with a plywood deck covering and a couple of saw horses with casters could be made up.
-Matt. Designer.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Kayak Jack »

Preacher,

When I made my boat bench, I wanted it to be both short and fat, and long and skinny. I ripped a piece of 4'X8' ply into two 2'X8' pieces. My saw horses are all free and independent (probably female?) so I can move them around and locate them where best needed under the ply. When working with a whole piece of new plywood, I have the bench pieces set up side by side. After panels are cut and I need a long bench, I set them up end to end.

Either way, I have a couple of cleats (about 1"X12") fastened onto the bottom to hold them together and in line. I just drilled holes and use machine screws with nuts & washers to do this.

Whatever you come up with, share it with us all?
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

My set up is a bit similar to Jack's and works well for me. Mine is made of 2 hollow interior doors and is very rigid for it's weight. Mine sits on top of my existing work bench and acts as an extension on each end. As with Jack's they can be used connected to give either length or width. They are easy to store when not in use and also cheap! ($10 for the 2 at a salvage yard).

I made up some brackets to join them and attached these with wood screws but there are probably several ways to do the joining.

Good luck with it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Well, it's a done deal. Went with this design. 2 sections 8 feet each X 30 inches wide.
They stack when not in use.

Casters lock and work great
Long view and showing how I cover with a couple of loose panels for layouts.
OnkaBob

Re: WORK BENCH (UP DATE)

Post by OnkaBob »

Nice work Preacher. All looks very straight and solid. I specially like the idea of the locking casters.

Guess we'll be seeing a fleet of Jem boats coming off the production line soon. 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.