Cutting ply without splintering

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Cutting ply without splintering

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Matt,
I've read on a couple of entries that some folks are having a problem with splintering on thier plywood while cutting out the panels.
I'm sure most have figured this out already, but if you take a utility knife and score the top ply (especially on the cross-grain areas), the cut will be nice and clean. Start the scoring by lightly going over the lines. progressively cut deeper with each pass until you're through the top ply.
Leaves a nice edge to sand to if you are keeping the saw a skosh off the line. :wink:

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

good tip.

For very small cuts, I sometimes just use a sharp utility knife to cut the ply. Takes a couple passes. But it does the job nicely.
-Matt. Designer.
Bruce36549
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: what's the score??

Post by Bruce36549 »

An effective woodworkers trick to eliminate splintering on your cuts is to make a zero clearance insert/baseplate for your saw. Trace the outline of the baseplate of your saw on a piece of thin hardboard or plywood and cut it out. Then cut down the center of the new baseplate with the blade that you will be using to create a zero clearance opening for your blade. In the photos I used 1/4" hardboard, however 1/8" would work just as well.

Using double sided carpet tape, attach the zero clearance plate to the sole of your saw's baseplate.

This luan plywood was cut with a Bosch T101DP blade. The top cut was made with the zero clearance baseplate attached to my saw, and the bottom cut was made without the zero clearance plate.

I didn't touch the wood after cutting. The beginning of the top cut shows some slight tearing at the beginning of the cut I think because I didn't have the saw baseplate resting flat on the wood at the start of the cut.

If you prefer using a circular saw, attach the zero clearance plate to your saw with the blade above the baseplate, then turn the saw on and lower the blade through the zero clearance plate to create the blade slot.

Hope the photos attach okay. I've never done this before. If they don't show up maybe someone could give me some detailed instructions on how to get them into this post. Thanks.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce36549 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
FlaMike

Post by FlaMike »

WOW! :shock:

If a fellow wasn't real carefull, he could learn something around here! :D

I really liked that "zero clearance" plate idea, complete with pics. Nice going!

Mike S.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Bruce,

And WELCOME ABOARD MATE!!!!

thank you for the tips re the base plate - brilliant.

G'day Mike, and welcome back!! Hope all is good for you and yours.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Bruce,
That's a trick I've used on the table saw before, but never thought of using it for hand held power tools. Thanks for passing it along! :)

Lee
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
Graham

Post by Graham »

If you mark out your lines on the face side, as per your drawings.The use of up cut or standard Jigsaw blades cause severe (spelching) ripping of the face veneres. :? To avoid this check out your tool suplier for some down cut blades. These used for laminate work top cutting give a clean cut every time on the face and minimal spelch on the rear.
Give it a try it works for me 8)
Life is what you make it but its what you make that improves your life.
1X Gander river canoe
offers to help support your build
Bruce36549

Post by Bruce36549 »

Thanks to all for your kind words. I am hoping to start a Laker build in the next month or so and have been doing a lot of reading of all your posts on the forum trying to glean as much information as possible before starting. While I have been a woodworker hobbyist for 25 years or so, I have never tried building a boat and have no experience with fiberglass and epoxy. All of you have been very generous with help and advice at this site making it a very valuable source of information. Hairymick and Lee especially are true masters that I would like to measure up to.

Bruce
I may look busy, but I'm only confused.
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

Slick idea! Happy Holidaze to all.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.