Touching up the bottom

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Touching up the bottom

Post by tx river rat »

After a couple years and several hundred miles of being bounced off rocks pulled up concrete boat ramps landing on gravel bars the T-V needs a touch up on her bottom.
Examining the bottom most of the wear was on the first 2 inches of the bow and the last 2 inches of the stern

I did some sanding preping her for some more cloth and rosin.

After I get her back inshape I think I am going to put on some short wear strips.
More tomorrow.
Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: Touching up the bottom

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

This is a Great Idea for all builds,Thanks :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

I accomplished a little more today on the T-V ,put on a layer of cloth ,let that dry then started fiting the wear strip for the bow.

Image after some sanding and shaping put on the first coat of cloth.

I made this strip a little longer and higher than first planned,I want to see what if any this does to the handling of the boat and all I have to do is sand it down thinner if I dont like it.
Ron

Mike I will let you know in a few days
surfman

Post by surfman »

Ron, that looks like that will just wear out too, why didn't you go with something like a piece of that rubber keel guard stuff?
Tight Lines, Steve
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Steve
It will wear but is sealed from the rest of the hull so it can be replaced if I need too.
The 1/16 of cloth and glass lasted two years.
I figure this should last about ten,lol
Rubber might be alright but it will not slide and be hard to attach.
Ron
Now if I realy want to stop the wear I have some 3/16 abrasive rods I used to build up some drill parts,I could set one of those in the wood and never wear it out :D
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

I thought I was tough on boats. :shock:

I do like that repair, looks like it could last a long time.
surfman

Post by surfman »

Got it, sort of like some nerf bars. :lol:
Tight Lines, Steve