River Boat

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

River Boat

Post by surfman »

This past weekend I went out to my favorite spot for a little fishing and there was a guy launching what I thought at first was a Gheenoe but, I looked again and it clearly wasn't. I asked him who the manufacture was and he said some guy locally in North Florida makes them. It had no name on it and he said the guy calls it a river boat.

It was all fiberglass and it was a cross between a Gheenoe and a jon boat. Basically a narrow jon with a pointy bow. It had a flat bottom but had the step (or chine) in it like the Gheenoe and tumblehome sides. I think it was 15 feet long and he had a 15 hp kicker on it. It had 2 swivel seats and a cooler or live well built into the middle. The live well was arranged lengthwise and I don't think I liked that too much since the boat isn't all that wide and walking around it couldn't be any easier than just stepping over it. It looked like a very stable boat that would take a light chop fairly well.
Tight Lines, Steve
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Re: River Boat

Post by Yohan1973 »

That sounds like a sweet skiff. There have been a few local florida builders croping up from time to time. That one sounds like just the ticket though. I've been drolling over boat around that size for a while. Especially the gheenoes. I live about 45 min from Puger Gheen's shop. I would love to build something around the size of a LT25 or maby a little larger than a NMZ. I own FS18 plans from Bateau also. I would like to build it but I'd prefer something around 16'-0." I've looked into the freight canoes too such as the mini mo from sandypoints. I just want something small enough to be powered by a 9.9 or 15hp but stable enough for a poling platform and two people max. That river boat kinda sound like a boat being built by either Eli Glasser (eliglasser at gmail)
or Brian from gladescraft (brian at gladescraft)
take out spaces, change at to@, and add .com
It actually sounds more like Brian's work. But his stuff IS expensive IMHO.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

surfman wrote:This past weekend I went out to my favorite spot for a little fishing and there was a guy launching what I thought at first was a Gheenoe but, I looked again and it clearly wasn't. I asked him who the manufacture was and he said some guy locally in North Florida makes them. It had no name on it and he said the guy calls it a river boat.

It was all fiberglass and it was a cross between a Gheenoe and a jon boat. Basically a narrow jon with a pointy bow. It had a flat bottom but had the step (or chine) in it like the Gheenoe and tumblehome sides. I think it was 15 feet long and he had a 15 hp kicker on it. It had 2 swivel seats and a cooler or live well built into the middle. The live well was arranged lengthwise and I don't think I liked that too much since the boat isn't all that wide and walking around it couldn't be any easier than just stepping over it. It looked like a very stable boat that would take a light chop fairly well.
I think I've seen pictures of the hull you're talking about. I'll have to dig around to come up with the web page.
-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

A RiverHawk maybe?

Those are manufactured either in Georgia or Florida. Looks a lot like a Gheenoe, but a little different.

Jbo
surfman

Post by surfman »

Thanks guys, the one on the left looks the most like the boat I saw. It had a wide transom like that one does. It may or may not have been a riverhawk, The one I saw may not be manufactured anymore but, without knowing exactly what it was, who knows.
Tight Lines, Steve
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

I thought those riverhawks were made out-of-state...

Anyway, here are some more gheenoe-like out-of-state boats:
http://www.spiderboats.com/
and another called Fin and Feather boats and API boats
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

Any NEW news on that north Florida boat manufacture?
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

ayjay
Type of boat I like: Building a Sabalo

Post by ayjay »

That square stern is going to induce a lot of drag unless it is clear of the water due to rocker in the back.
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »