My Southwind and bulkhead/hatch?

Builder show and discuss their progress.
bronco302

My Southwind and bulkhead/hatch?

Post by bronco302 »

The plan is to make a frame at station #2 and #5 this is 5.

I want to cut the center out leaving 1.5 inches around, use the cutout as a hatch. There will be 3 layers in the lamination. The outer layers are 3mm, and two layers is what the hatch will be plus 3.5 ounce glass on both sides. The inner layer will be .25 plywood with the cutout .75 smaller all around to form the lip for the hatch. I will gasket this and plan to put pairs of rare earth magnets around the edges to hold the hatch in place. So will it keep the water out of the compartments in a roll over or will my hatches implode? I got to use that word in a beer joint! If they are not up to it how should I do it?

I've been working on her slowly for some months, arthritis and way to much work gets in the way. Here is some shots of where I am so far.
Thanks Joe W.

P.s. I will be gluing and tapeing the frames in place. left that out.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: My Southwind and bulkhead/hatch?

Post by jem »

If you build the hull and bulkheads like you say, you could probably lean the hull against a tree and stand on the hatch and not have it cave in.
-Matt. Designer.
bronco302

Post by bronco302 »

Cool, thank you Matt.
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Post by Dickie »

Looks great. Cant wait to get to that stage in my build. Trying to find the time is my issue too. :)
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"