Cargo canoe

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Cargo canoe

Post by Yohan1973 »

I'm not ready to build anything like this just yet but I'm curious. Has anyone here ever built or designed a freight canoe/ cargo canoe. Something 16- 18 feet long. 44" to 50" wide? It could be stitch and glue or strip built. I have also been thinking about building one using VERY cheap non-bead and cove strips and covering the out side with kevlar to hide the cheap strip construction. A nice rockerless cargo canoe would be a nice addition to any design portfolio.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Cargo canoe

Post by Oldsparkey »

Yes they have........

One of the guys on my web site made a stripper at 20 feet for his own use :D Before retiring , his business was making sea going sail boats in the 40 or longer foot area , the ones you can sail around the world. The stripper was for his pleasure. :lol:

He used it on a Everglades run which took in a week with three other nut's , myself included. We had a power boat , his tripper and a sail boat. Trust me that tripper of his will take a ton of stuff and with the little 3 HP on the back , really scoot along.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

That is REALLY sweet! I have only seen one other stripper cargo. It is a 16 footer from another site. Can't find any one who has built it though.

Here in Florida we have a local builder who has a design that is a cargo canoe in terms of it's hull but is marketed as a skiff. This company doesn't like their name or product mensioned at all by anyone who is not PROMOTING his product. Anyway, I think a 16-18 foot cargo canoe stable enough for a poling platform would be GREAT! Especially if it could be built fairly open.

I will be sure to take a look at your site. That looks like a very nice canoe!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

As Joe would tell you if you asked him about the canoe , It is nothing but wood , epoxy and fiberglass. Or as I like to say , the only restriction on making one is the person willingness to do it.

Stripper or stitch and glue , either way a nice boat.
Your in Florida , heck you might of seen some of his sail boats since he is also a Floridian like me. :lol: I'm not posting the name of them since he is retired and they are not a paddle craft which Matt's web site is dedicated to.

I have one of Matt's Sasquatches ( 14 x 30 ) and it is a great canoe. Stretched out it could or should do what you are looking for in a tripper for camping and taking life easy.
Not sure about the polling platform. Play it safe ... ask Matt. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

A true born Floridian :?: Not many left like us Florida Crackers :lol: I was born in Tampa in the 50's :D No one think's about Redneck's that come from Florida :lol:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer

Post by Oldsparkey »

LIGHT KEEPER'S KID wrote:A true born Floridian :?: Not many left like us Florida Crackers :lol: I was born in Tampa in the 50's :D No one think's about Redneck's that come from Florida :lol:

Mike
:lol: :lol: :lol: I am a Texan by birth , just lived here in Florida most of my life. Both of my Daughters are full fledged Crackers , born right here in Central Florida. Ya might want to call me a Stale Cracker but I do love my Grits , Gator or Chili and swamp boats. :roll:

Chuck.
Remember:
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I have the drawings for Rob White's sport boat. I often thought about a stitch and glue version of it.
-Matt. Designer.
Yohan1973

Post by Yohan1973 »

LIGHT KEEPER'S KID wrote:A true born Floridian :?: Not many left like us Florida Crackers...

Well I guess that makes me a cheesy import being that I moved here from Ohio. I've got a funny story about the word "cracker."

There are parts of Ohio in which calling a white guy "cracker" is as bad as using the "N" word on a black guy. I’m talking FIGHTING WORDS here! I relocated here to Florida on behalf of my job some years ago. One day, shortly after my relocation here, a couple fellas from the Aberdeen area of Ohio came to our office to fix our large format plotters. For those of you whom do not know, Aberdeen Ohio is the heartland of a strong population of people with deep Appalachian roots. These people, some might consider to be as red neck as they come. Well, while they were in our office someone mentioned to them that I was an Ohio boy too. Well that just tickled them profusely. The three of us struck up a conversation. Somehow the topic turned to fishing and hunting. I revealed that I was very familiar with the Aberdeen area and fished some of the very same areas that they fished. They believed that fact to be rather precarious. Aberdeen is not known to be “colored boy” friendly (I happen to be black). It was at that time that a fellow female co-worker of mine butted into the conversation and said, “ At this firm, me and one other girl are the only original Florida crackers!” As soon as she said “cracker” their eyes got huge, their mouths dropped open, and they both turned beat red with embarrassment. These fellas were trying to conduct a professional conversation and she goes dropping the “C” bomb! They looked around as if to make sure no one with corporate power heard that statement. It was at that time that I remembered acceptable southern Ohio terminology versus Florida. I piped up and said, “Ohhhh, yeah, Here in Florida that’s not a bad word that typically results in a bar room brawl! It’s actually and statement of cultural and regional pride. They broke out in hysterical laughter. That definition was brand new to them. For the two remaining days they were in our office they made it a point to call everyone a cracker. At the end of their last day in the office, the three of us road the elevator down to the lobby together. We chatted a little about fishing. As we arrived at the lobby we stepped out of the elevator, they both looked at me and said in unison, “See ya’ later CRACKA!” Ha ha ha, those fella’s were funny. I bet it would have been a good time fishing with them. Anyway, maybe you just had to be there to find it humorous.
jem wrote:I have the drawings for Rob White's sport boat. I often thought about a stitch and glue version of it.

Matt, I bet a S&G version would be REALLY nice!
I looked up this Rob White guy, he’s got some really NICE designs! I see his Sport boat plans are still available:
http://www.robbwhite.com/sportboat.html

Also, this was the other strip canoe that I looked into but found no builder/user info:
http://www.sandypointboatworks.com/mini ... canoe.html

Unfortunately, I think neither of these BEAUTIFUL vessels provided the stability needed for mounting a short poling platform. The sandypoint comes very close though.

Although I WILL NOT link to there site, ECC (local Orlando florida boat builders) makes a craft close to what I’ve got in mind. Except their hull is far too rounded in section. Maybe I’m just romanticizing about a strip built pole-able freight canoe! In my mind I can see it sooo clearly. 1:4 beam-to-length ratio, gentle stem curves, moderate deadrise, rounded bilges, and a 10 degree transom nearly as wide as the max width of the craft. Oh, and built to handle a 9.9hp tiller max!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I edited my own post because if you can't say something nice..... :twisted:

I'll play with a sketch and see if anything comes out of it. Powerboats really aren't my thing.
-Matt. Designer.
jbo_c
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by jbo_c »

Took a look at that Rob White boat. I like it, but it seems a waste to build it at 16 feet. 18 - 20 would be more desirable to me.

Proportions are very prettty. It's a very pleasing boat to look at.

Jbo