HELP!!!!!!!!!Somethings growing........

Builder show and discuss their progress.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!Somethings growing........

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Bemm

If you look at these 2 photos your Wadefish seems to sit deeper in the water.

Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMM :|why :| :|the build you chose belongs to danger mouse 8) help need feedback from builders.....................we"ll get to the bottom of this sooner or later
Matt I know your designs are good I'm paddling a Sabalo and loving it.................thought Wadefish would be the bees knees :? :|
Last edited by Bemm 52 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Some things you might want to consider between the two different boats.

1. The height of the floor from the bottom of the boat on each one. Any Difference , is one higher?
2. The weight of each boat, is one heavier?
3. The depth of the boat when in the water , empty.... How much water is needed to float it.( the draft of it)
4. The amount of weight needed in the boat to make water come in. Are both boats the same or will one carry more weight.
5. The main idea that a boat made to drain water out will let water in.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'm not sure what other explanation I can offer. I will say that SOTs are not meant to be perfectly dry rides. It does look like your hull sits a bit deeper but that could be paddler motion rocking it to one side when either picture was snapped.

I can develop a modification plan for you. Should not be too hard or time consuming. I'll need a few bits of information from you. specifically, the height from the floor to the bottom of your footbrace "pockets". I think raising the floor just an inch in that area and creating a small "step" just aft of the scuppers will do the trick. But I need to know how much room we have to play with.

I am very sorry you're having to go through this. I will post additional information about the design on the website drawing extra attention to potentially getting wet feet.
-Matt. Designer.
dangermouse01
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by dangermouse01 »

Normal.
With my scupper in the center of the boat, the distance from the top of the scupper to the bottom if the hull is 2.75 inches. With the just the boat floating, water is just below the top of the scupper. With me in it (155 LB) I get about the same amount of water in as your picture shows, maybe a tad less.

The two picture comparison above, both boats look to float the same to me. Bemm has the graphite bottom at the third panel and I can see that above the water.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

DISCLAIMER...... I have not built a boat like these so I am guessing at my suggestions for them. Take the ideas for what they are worth or not worth. :D

Here is a screw ball idea I had. What if a person would put in some sort of a check valve that would let water out but not in. This way if the water level in the cockpit was higher then the outside water level it would drain out.

The down side is if you installed them backwards you would have a cockpit full of water or if they did not work properly. As I said .... A screw Ball idea.

I guess boats with holes in them are meant to be a wet paddle , even if the holes are intentionally placed there. The best is there is no bailing to do it does it for you. Trust me , there have been times I was wishing my boats would do that for me , no fun dodging obsticals and trying to bail at the same time.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Check valve could work but the problem is if it's a ball-type, you need more pressure from the hull interior than the pressure coming from the hull exterior for it to work. With a SOT, you'd only get that kind of pressure if the cockpit was completely swamped.
-Matt. Designer.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

OK thanks for all the ideas :) ........I think I've got it now. :oops:

It would seem from the pictures of Mullet-keys water in cockpit and Danger Mouses comments that water in the cockpit is to be expected.............something I did not realise at the start of the build. :|

I think had I been aware of this I may have attempted to compensate in some way during the build as I was after the relativley dry characteristics of my Sabalo.

Net result is I get to do more boatbuilding as I modify to try and solve wetness :wink: 8)

Don't know if I will get round to it this year as we are coming into prime paddling time so I'll use pool noodle or something for scupper plugs :lol:

I think I will probably raise footwell somehow. And maybe angle scuppers horizontaly similarly to what Hairymick did on the original build.............................then SWMBO will have a boat equal if not better than Sabalo :roll: :lol: :lol:
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Bemm 52 wrote: I think I will probably raise footwell somehow.
Let me know if you'd like help with it.
-Matt. Designer.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

jem wrote: I think raising the floor just an inch in that area and creating a small "step" just aft of the scuppers will do the trick.
Matt this probably what I will do, Don't worry about drawing anything up I'll nut it out...........it'll get the grey cells working :shock: :lol: :lol:

When I start mods I'll post them in a thread here somewhere 8)

Gezz you really spoilt me with your Sabalo design :lol: :lol: :lol:

It'll all work out in the end..............cheers Paul :wink: