The ugly duck is started

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

The ugly duck is started

Post by tx river rat »

As most of you know I have built all my boats from laun,well after a trip to several stores,I couldnt find any that suited me.
I guess this boat is going to be a double hybrid it will have stripe deck be a stitch and glue but the panels will be strip built.
I found some nice white pine that was light in 1 by 12 by 16 ft,and some wrc in 16 ft lengths
Yesterday I started ripping strips,today I started gluing up panels. I just laid them out on a sheet of ply marked off my panels and then drove nails in every 12 inches,using a brad nailer I bent the strips around the nails and nailed the strips to the sheet of ply,oh I put a layer of wax paper between the strips and the ply.
Have several panels done and they seem pretty light and rigid.
Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: The ugly duck is started

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

I want to see :lol:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

Ron,
Once those strips are pre-coated you will not want to cover them up. That is going to be a great looking boat. Welcome to the darker side (stripping).
Darrell Sykora
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Here is one panel glued up, maybe you can get an ideal of what I am doing.

I layed the pattern out on a 1 by 12.
Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Did I mention I love a good stripper :D I don't think you will be able to call her the ugly duckling when you get done. Its just like the story and will turn out to be a beautiful swan!
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Well I got some more done,all the side panels and half the bottom panels done,if I have a good weekend I should be stitching her together.
This is going to be my race boat ,if it preforms like I think it will and will really be treated rough ,I know the white pine will be just a tad heavier but it is tougher than the ceder. the boat will be covered inside and out with 6 ounce glass,an extra layer of tape down the v on the bottom ,graphite over that and I am going to try some epoxy graphite aluminium powder mix on the first 6 inches on the front and the last 6 inches in the rear,over the regular graphit coat.
I have never seen anyone do a boat like I am doing this one ,stripping but building panels that have the curves in them. I cant see why it want work and it is the best of both worlds (I Hope). Should have the looks of a stripper the simplicity of the stitch and glue . I also went with the strips because of running rocks and getting cutts in the glass ,there shouldnt be as much chance of a delamination with the solid wood.
If this works any set of plans could be adapted to this.
Ron
Barneseye
Type of boat I like: Building a Merrimac.

Post by Barneseye »

Look forward to seeing it all come together.
Great concept.
Looks of a strip, simplicity of a stitch.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got all the strips glued up ,sanding today and getting ready to splice the panels.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

and sanding and sanding and sanding some more,but the panels are sure looking good.
Maybe start stiching tomorrow afternoon.
Ron
bronco302

Post by bronco302 »

You know if this catches on it would be a good reason to buy a thickness sander :twisted:
A lot of models out there, even plans to build some.

How wide are your panels Ron, twelve inches or under could run through a portable planer with long in and outfeed tables.

Joe W.