Pontoon Bike

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
banoe15

Pontoon Bike

Post by banoe15 »

I was looking at the pontoon boat you guys were discussing and it reminded me of a boat I was dreaming about in my head a couple of years ago.

I was trying to figure out how to put a bicycle on a small pontoon boat. I had seen something like this some where in the foggy past. It had two narrow pontoons and a bike frame mounted to the cross frames. It had a drive system to a propeller and I think it went pretty fast.

I think two small canoe shaped hulls could build out of plywood with wood cross braces add some rudders on each hull then get to the tricky part how to get a bicycle hooked to prop for power.

I was thinking of two 12' long water tight hulls enough to keep about 400lb afloat and enough beam to keep from tipping over.

Good luck with the new site.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Believe it or not...but they make such an animal:

http://www.islander-pontoon-boats.com/#hydrobike
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Matt

We have a simpler version down here in the land of heat & humidity. It is a little more old fashion but a ton of fun out on the water.

Basically the same design as the one on the link but this one has a paddle wheel from the chain and the bars for the handle control the rudders which are off each pontoon. Now if you peddle really fast you can even stay cool from the splash of the paddle wheel. This is a good thing in the summer time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quite a simple operation and a lot of fun to play with.

The simpler ones will even go in reverse. Just peddle backwards. :D Havent see any in the 21 speed but I am sure some one will come up with that idea. :wink:

Now that would be something to enter a race with , like the Alfaia Challenge that Pirogue likes to attend on the Alfaia River...... They would not know what area to put it in. :? http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 6de492e8bf

Darn now you have me thinking and scheming
Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Pirogue
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Pirogue »

Jitterbug

Or you could build one of these! :D
Whats that smell?
banoe15

Post by banoe15 »

The Jitterbug sounds great! I just need to get seven or eight bucks together so I can start. "It should be simplicty in its self" Shouldn't forget 25c for plans hate to see the designers like Matt get ripped off. Now if I can only get my wife to give up her new aluminum frame 24 speed mountain bike with 1/8" ply and epoxie hulls should be able to get her up to 12-14 mph.