The ugly duck is started

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: The ugly duck is started

Post by tx river rat »

I started back out into the lake and it was getting rougher, she is long enough to handle some serious waves without taking on water. I hit three are four hard licks with the paddle and then sat back ,the glide was awesome straight and long even into the waves,now my seat is loose no footpegs so basicly I am just arm paddling ,I started setting down on the paddle and watching the gps ,now I am fighting wind and waves. the gps started climbing and at 6.5 miles an hour I just sat back and laughed. turned around and paddled with the wind back to the launch.laughing all the way.
Couple more pics.

The last thing I was worried about was as narrow as she was might sit to deep in the water but with the long water line I think she floats just a shallow as the Cuda.

Needless to say I am tickled pink ,she will heel,fast good glide and so easy to get up to cruise
plenty stable, with decks now wind effect at all no weather cocking.
I LOVE THIS BOAT

Now I need to go put in the pegs put a finish on her put on graphite bottom,so I still have a lot to do.A very happy Ron
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Matt that was probably at 90% ,that wasnt everything I had ,but no footrest and a loose set and waves.
I bet she will see over 7 when we get everything right. and look out going down river with a current.
Ron
This was on a lake
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

congrats Ron not only a pretty face (the boat silly ) but practical skills as well :D

MM

stable enough to fish :?:
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

MM
Stable enough to fish,a year ago I would have said no ,I could fish out of her now. I think the T-V is still my best fishing boat because of the ability to set so much higher.
I will put a lot of hours in this boat I will probably fish from her some.
Ron
I still have to make my mind up if I am going to put hatches on her.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Had a chance to do a little to the duck today. I cut and glued in blocks to mount my sea dogs on.

When I cut the blocks out I beveled them so the pegs were close to straight up and down. I cut a grove for the screw head to clear. You can see the single screw for thrue the hull mounting.

I then made some aluminium brackes that bolted to the thrue the hull mounting brackets and could be screwed down to the blocks

And this is what I wound up with

Before I run any glass over them I am going to try them out and see if everything is the way I want them,then I will go back in sand and glass.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Well I finally got back to the duck.Installed runners for seat mount. I am not sure of the exact place I need my seat so made them extra long.

Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Well,I figured you were out on the test float :lol: Looking Great :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got a few more things rigged on the duck today. Got the seat mounted.

Molding around the cockpit

Inserts for rope handles

Going to the shindig,Greyloons Memorial paddle tomorrow,going to ring out this boat and find out what she is about. Its not finished but is ready to paddle.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

:D :D :D :D :D
I put a few miles on this boat this weekend ,I like her, At 20 inch bottom I was worried about stability , I was pleasantly surprised even with the seat raised several inches she was very well mannered ,Paddled her in the swift water upstream and down,she was narrow enough to handle the upstream swift water and flies downstream.
The next day took her on a five mile stroll downriver,she will still turn even with the long waterline, and the decks handled a stiff headwind and cross wind at times,wind just isn't a factor with this boat.
With the boat balanced out looks like a 16 ft water line in a 16 ft boat, The boat will do the job now I need to get better swinging the paddle. I still need to figure out how I need to set my pegs
On the way down the river Firefly (a lady that is a racer)and I traded boats,that gal can paddle.She seemed to be impressed with it. :D
She still needs some finishing out but I think the boat is more capable than I am .
Shes a winner.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

A couple pics of the Duck on the water

The way I have her trimmed she has a full 16 ft water line,the water at the front is just even with the cut back in the hull
and Darrel says the only place she pushes a wave is about a half inch on the front,very little turbulance coming off the back.
What do you guys think about the trim,should I try to bring the nose up more?
On a sand bar fixing to head back down river.

Paddling the rapids going up stream she did well,I was with Darrel and a lady that was in a marothon boat 18 fter both stripers we were pretty well matched. We headed down stream I hit her hard for a ways,she will fly going downstream,Darrel and Firefly couldnt keep up.
I have figured out I cant do without hatches and deck rigging. This boat should do well in the rec class against the plastic boats.

I believe I could handle a couple inches narrower :D :D
Matt a great job
Thanks
Ron