Started Building Sasquatch 14-30

Builder show and discuss their progress.
kjeremiah
Type of boat I like: Sasquatch 14-30

Re: Started Building Sasquatch 14-30

Post by kjeremiah »

Hi

Thanks for the complimentary comments. However, I carefully edited out the photos which show the bits which would not stand scrutiny. I may leave the interior varnished if it comes out OK.

Keith
kjeremiah

Post by kjeremiah »

Dare I say "Almost finished building Sasquatch 14-30?"

Gunwales, breasthooks and thwarts fitted. I shall probably epoxy in some glass reinforcement on the underside of the breasthooks and possibly the thwart ends. Otherwise, the main tasks are epoxy coating the ash and one more coat to inside and outside of the hull. I will then probably try it out before painting the outside and varnishing the interior.

A few less than perfect details (you can see where I put the belt sander through the top veneer on the breasthook - most are less evident, though I shall still know they are there.) but on the whole, I am pleased with it for a first time build and think the design is beautiful - let's hope it performs as well as it looks.

I hope that next photos will show it all shiny (or even wet!)

Keith
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

I'm impressed by the progress you've made in the time elapsed so far - hope you've been taking time off for some sleep now and then :D .

The lines look very fair in the end on photo - if they are really that good then it should perform well on the water. As for going through the top ply on the breasthooks there's always the option of replacing them some time in the future if it really bothers you. That's one of the many good things about building your own.

The scuppered inwales look good - your joinery skills must be better than mine.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Keith......

If you like yours as much as like mine ........

Then you have found the canoe of your choice. It is a great one for solo paddling , goofing off for the day or packing it with gear and taking out for a week or two. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
kjeremiah

Post by kjeremiah »

Hi

I put a coat of epoxy on the gunwales, thwarts etc this morning and then spent ages just staring at how beautiful this boat is. The ash has gone a wonderful honey colour and looks great against the (cheap exterior grade) ply.

Chuck - It was partly your enthusiasm for the Sasquatch which swung me to choosing it, so I hope you are a good judge!

Bob - don't be fooled by a combination of poor woodwork and poor photography - the scuppered inwales are simply one continuous length of 6mm (1/4inch) ash with another piece chopped up into (roughly) 50mm (2 inch) lengths and stuck at 100mm (4 inch) intervals along it. The slight variations in the length and squareness of the inserts add a certain rustic charm as we Brits would call it! I thought about replacing the breasthook but decided there was plenty of scope for making an even worse mess in the process.

Thanks for the appreciation. I must turn my thoughts to paddles now.

Keith
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Bob - don't be fooled by a combination of poor woodwork and poor photography - the scuppered inwales are simply one continuous length of 6mm (1/4inch) ash with another piece chopped up into (roughly) 50mm (2 inch) lengths and stuck at 100mm (4 inch) intervals along it. The slight variations in the length and squareness of the inserts add a certain rustic charm as we Brits would call it! I thought about replacing the breasthook but decided there was plenty of scope for making an even worse mess in the process.
Don't sell yourself short, it looks beautiful. I love the inwales and the breasthooks. They will look even better with the epoxy on them to bring out he color (or should I say colour in this case.LOL) and grain of the wood.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.