How many boards

Builder show and discuss their progress.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Re: How many boards

Post by makenmend »

4.lay release plastic/wax paper set your back stop nails at12" intervals and go to it
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

The white push pins you see are clamping the scarf joints, my brads holding the strips in position don't show very well are 1/2'' 19 gauge

makenmend

Post by makenmend »

scarf jiont no sanding done as yet
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

and finaly for now, yes it retains it shape when released.You can't see the end sitting on the bench ( 16' long ) before cutting to shape.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Thanks MM that's exactly what I want to do for my Cape Fear. I really like the idea of using wood strips instead of plywood and I wanted to avoid the obvious butt joints. You and Ron have given me great inspiration and hope, just wish I had your weather here for my build.

I'm planning on using all WRC and I keep running the lumber yard circuit looking for their darkest and best boards.

I really like the way your panels came out . . . can't wait to see what that puppy is going to look like.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I used WRC throughout, but the choice here is very limited to put it mildly, I realy wanted to have some accent strips, but other than varyations in color this was all I could manage. I expect to move back to Texas in the new year so my next build will be different.
On this one Imade up my last panel last night and released it this morning, now on to transfer template dimentions to panels,cutting and bringing them to accurate size for stitching.

MM
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I like to use pine for accent on my strip boats. Its cheap, available almost everywhere, and isn't much heavier than WRC. Its harder to find long clear boards, though. I like how it contrasts against the WRC.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

craig they have pine here but it's so obvious I didnt even think about it :oops: Oh well all my panels are assebled now, there's always something I overlook.

MM
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

MM, some of the prettiest strip boats I have seen were made by people who used nothing but cedar and did not attempt to make any special patterns. They looked more "natural" that way. One reason I use pine and do accents in my builds is that I end up with a lot left over pine from other non-boat projects. Also, it is cheaper than cedar. :)
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.