CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- More Pictures Added

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-FORMS CUT

Post by jem »

preacher wrote:
Matt, I am seriously considering omiting the cockpit scuppers. My size and the amount of equipment I carry could become a problem with scuppers.
Not an issue. Just need a way to get the water out. Sponge, hand-bilge pump, etc.
-Matt. Designer.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

jem wrote:
preacher wrote:
Matt, I am seriously considering omiting the cockpit scuppers. My size and the amount of equipment I carry could become a problem with scuppers.
Not an issue. Just need a way to get the water out. Sponge, hand-bilge pump, etc.
Yeah, got both, use them in the Bumble Bee.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Man, been battling this swine flu for a few weeks now. Today is my best day and on the mend, so I can at last get back to my yak.

Right now I am in the process of sanding and leveling the panels and I'm getting excited. The panels are very light and seem to be flexible enough to handle the twisting required for some of the Cape Fear's bow design. Also, the Titebond II is working very good for the scarfing and joining the strips together and the subsequent sanding, much better than my experience with Titebond III. The only problem I'm having now is locating some good clear WRC locally. I did find out that I have a friend at McCoys so my proble may be short term.

While sitting on the sidelines I noticed a Sabalo build on another forum and the guy was glassing the outside without the upper panels being installed.

This seemed like a good way to do the Cape fear with a full cloth cover to avoid the middle seam and having to rock the yak up on one side to glass. Then after the upper panels are in place (maybe even with the decks in place) do the topside glass. I would still do an additional strip of glass down the keel before clothing the bottom to add strength.

Any thoughts.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-SANDING AND LEVELING

Post by jem »

How would you glass the inside of the seam on the side panels?
-Matt. Designer.
preacher

Post by preacher »

jem wrote:How would you glass the inside of the seam on the side panels?
I'd do all that before I installed the deck. I'm only thinking about glassing the outside of the lower and mid panels of the hull a different way.

The only problem my inexperienced mind can see would be stitching through the glass to install the upper panels, but I thought duct tape could be used for the last 2 panels for filleting. Then the forms could be removed and the inside glassed.
footonthesea
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by footonthesea »

Hello. This is going to look great.

How do you go about obtaining your wood for strip-planking? I cannot seem to locate reasonable price/quality boards 16' long to rip into planks.

Also, are these planks bead-cove joined or other?

Thanks.

Cheers.
"And so by the help of God, perhaps it will turn out after all that freedom and my boat can, just possibly, be synonymous." -Moitessier
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I can't answer for everyone, but every time I go to a lumberyard, I look for good clear cedar 2X material. I can find nice long clear 1X cedar, but it costs a fortune. The 2X material is a crap shoot but long clear material costs the same as the other stuff in the bundle, you just have to find it. I may only find a good one every couple of times I go, but over time, I have a stockpile. I got real lucky one day and have several excellent 12 foot cedar boards. I do the same for pine to use for a contrasting color. I scarf my joints and don't worry about finding 16 foot pieces. I also use a very thin kerf blade to waste as little as possible. The strip built JEM Touring Pirogue I built a couple years ago was not cove and bead, but all panels were assembled flat. The boats prior to that were cove and bead. My new policy is to use cove and bead for all boats now when building with strips. I find it easier to work with (except for making the actual strips) in my humble opinion.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I have a couple friends that build some awesome looking stripers,they have completely stopped useing the cove and bead ,after looking at some of there boats I have to agree.
Ron
preacher

Post by preacher »

craiggamesh wrote:I can't answer for everyone, but every time I go to a lumberyard, I look for good clear cedar 2X material. I can find nice long clear 1X cedar, but it costs a fortune. The 2X material is a crap shoot but long clear material costs the same as the other stuff in the bundle, you just have to find it. I may only find a good one every couple of times I go, but over time, I have a stockpile. I got real lucky one day and have several excellent 12 foot cedar boards. I do the same for pine to use for a contrasting color. I scarf my joints and don't worry about finding 16 foot pieces. I also use a very thin kerf blade to waste as little as possible. The strip built JEM Touring Pirogue I built a couple years ago was not cove and bead, but all panels were assembled flat. The boats prior to that were cove and bead. My new policy is to use cove and bead for all boats now when building with strips. I find it easier to work with (except for making the actual strips) in my humble opinion.
Sorry for the delay but seems craiggamesh covered it pretty good. I'm not real experienced at doing things like cove and bead yet and these panels are flat and don't require it. I do curve the strips to match the panels and so far they are holding their shape. Also, I don't like hauling or storing 16 foot boards if I can help it so I look for 8 footers and scarf them to make long strips. It's crazy but I have been able to find a lot of 16 foot boards but just avoided them even though I could have them cut so I could haul them easier. I even will take a 4X4 if I can find it and a 1X is a wonderful gift if you can find it. My main problem is my desire to find dark red WRC for this build.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

tx river rat wrote:I have a couple friends that build some awesome looking stripers,they have completely stopped useing the cove and bead ,after looking at some of there boats I have to agree.
Ron
What was it that you saw in there boat's Ron that would lead them to stop using bead and cove?
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".