Finally started - Boat shelves and Pirogue

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Finally started - Boat shelves and Pirogue

Post by Earvin »

Happy Australia Day everybody :D

After talking about building for well over 12 months I have finally started. It probably helps that we have our first born due soon so I am not out on the water as much. We have also moved our television away from the antenna so we cant watch TV without a lot of effort moving it back - boy it is amazing what I have been able to get through when I am not zombieing out in front of the idiot box.

I have very little building expereince and I am really enjoying the process so far. The one thing I have learned is that I cannot be trusted to measure correctly the first time and sometimes the second :?

I am doing a combined build first up. A set of Mats boat shelves for the baby and the Touring Pirogue which is a suprise for my nephew.

So far everything is drawn up and ready for cutting :D .

Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Finally started - Boat shelves and Pirogue

Post by Oldsparkey »

It is best to read the instructions several times so you know what is going on with the boat building process before you even get to that step of it. I like to tell folks to understand what is necessary about 6 steps down the road when building a boat. Just like the wood ... measure three or four times , step back and think then recheck again before you cut a piece of it. ( Yes .. I have had to get another sheet , panel , or wood to cover my mistake when rushing things )

If you do not understand what will be taking place and then getting to that part ......... Not a lot of fun but it can be corrected.

Remember Murphy's Law ....If something can go wrong it will........ Best to beat Murphy from the start and send him on vacation. :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Hey Chuck,

I am on the right track then as I have read the instructions many times over. Slow and steady for me.
Simon

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

My Japanese saw arrived today :D as did my block plane. What a beautiful piece of kit the saw is. I have decided to do most of my work with hand tools so I got an opportunity to get some cutting out done tonight on the Pirogue. It is starting to look like parts of a boat now.

It took me a little while to get used to the Japanese saw but once I relaxed and let the saw do the work rather than forcing it worked really well.

Hopefully more cutting out tomorrow.
Simon

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Is this the longest time between posts :shock: ?

The boat shelves are done and the Pirogue is almost there. I have learnt a lot and made a number of mistakes ready for my new build - the Merrimac. The Merrimac should be a good boat for the whole family to get out on the water.

The Pirogue just needs some sanding and prepping for painting/varnishing and adding the thwarts. I had some issues with fibreglassing the inside but that doesn't seem unusual :wink: . Hopefully I will have it ready in a couple of weeks to see if it floats.

I feel like a real boat builder now - look at those clamps!

One of the reasons this has taken so long, and my best little helper. I can't wait to get her out on the water with me!
Simon

Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Did some more sanding today and getting close to painting. I intend to put graphite on the bottom but am still unsure whether to varnish or paint the rest. It's not perfect but the imperfections are growing on me :D . When I first started I used to really worry about the mistakes I made but now I am just happy I have built a boat!

So what do people think varnish or paint?
Simon

goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I intend to paint my Sabalo. I like the look of varnished wood but being my first build there will be lots of minor cosmetic damage that would show up in a varnished finish, that won't affect a painted finish. But I like a painted finish anyway, and with a good durable paint it should be easy to maintain.

I think the Sabalo looks good painted, and I intend to paint mine a deep yellow with the black graphite on the hull. Maybe some stensil cut transfers as well later on as well.... :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

What type of paint are you going to use?

I am leaning towards varnishing the outside and painting the inside.
Simon

goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Probably an epoxy enamel single pak. I was thinking a 2 pak polyester. That's extremely tough (they use it to re-coat ceramics) but aparently it's very hard to touch up if it does scratch or chip. Because I am using epoxy/graphite on the lower hull I don't think I really need a super tough paint for the upper decks and cockpit. I want to be able to touch it up if needed. The epoxy enamel is still a very tough paint aparently, and about half the price of the 2 pak. Definitely use a tough marine grade paint either way, there are some cheaper ones that are single polyester or acrylic that are a waste of time if you want scratch resistance.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
Earvin

Post by Earvin »

Thanks mate. I will check to see what is available locally in an epoxy enamel. I have read elsewhere, on here I think, some people use latex porch paint. Given I am only doing
the inside this might be ok for me as well.
Simon