CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- More Pictures Added

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-SANDING AND LEVELING

Post by tx river rat »

It is just to much trouble with no gain.

Darrels Freedom is done with no bead and cove maybe he will chime in. I think his exact words were if anyone wants the bits I will give them to them.
Ron
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I have done it both ways, and each has its merits. For really tight curves, when building on stations on a strongback, I prefer it. When building panels flat, I could go either way. The thing I like about them are that they conform to a curve better on the stations and if you inadvertently don't get a tight fit in an area on a strip, you won't see light shining through. When I build my strip boats, I build them stapleless for the most part. The cove of the previously laid strip helps hold the new one in place. Also, I run the bead of glue in the middle of the cove and I get less squeeze-out that way which leads me to less scraping and sanding.

I can run a boats worth of strips through my router table in about an hour or two so it doesn't add a too significant of an amount of time. I usually run a couple of boats worth through as long as the table is set up. I am finishing this canoe (18.5' X 34")

and I have enough strips left for the deck of an Okwata I may start in the near future. I have to finish the new kitchen cabinets first or I will be in trouble. :shock:
Again, this is just my experience
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I personally did not care for using the bead and cove method. I can do the same thing with a simple pass of a plane down the backside of a strip as I go for a custom fit. I boils down to what you like and what works for you. and I do have a set of B&C bits that if I can remember where they are I will give them to anyone who wants them. Even on some of the tighter curves of the Freedom I had no gaps without the B&C.
Darrell Sykora
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

I may feel like I died but I didn't. Had a reoccuring bad upper respitory problem that the Doc finally had to handle. He said I should be alright within 4 weeks. I am able to do some bits and pieces but not much at all.

I decided and have managed to glass (6 0z) the inside of the bottom panels to strenghten them when I stitch them together and set the forms.

I set aside the better colored strips for the panels that show above the water and didn't pay much attention to the color of the strips used on these bottom panels because they will be covered with graphite, but when I laid the cloth and resin the colors really popped out. Now I'm excited about what the more select strips will look like when glassed.

Whoops! That would be the carport crashing on the wife's car.

Anyway, I just finished trimming off the excess glass. Maybe this weekend I can get some stitching done and see what this Bad Boy is gonna look like. Matt's designs are so great looking and functional and I believe this puppy will be a Bull Red killer.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Baby steps seem to be a way of life lately, but the forms are in place :clap:

The glassing (6 oz) on the inside helped a little but no miracle there. I just used some clamps and some velcrop strapping. Once the filleting is done I can take care of any cosmetic problems for the bow. The stern actually came out okay after the fiberglassing. My intention is to use 4 oz glass on the exterior, decks and on the cockpit. I'm haven't made the decision yet to glass the bulkheads.

BOW SHOT

STERN VIEW

My medical condition is not completely gone away but under control so, hopefully, I will get the mid panels attached this weekend. Of course it will probably rain or snow or something again.

I can say that the bulkhead forms really came out great and should be beautiful if I am able to do my glass and varnish finishing in a competent manner. I have enough strips to do all the outside panels and maybe even the cockpit work but I am shopping for some very select darker WRC to do the decks.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-FORMS IN PLACE

Post by jem »

that's gonna be one sweet looking boat! 8)
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

That boat will be a work of art and offer a lot of enjoyment .... Better be ready to do a lot of answers to questions when folks see it when you have it out and about.

Of course I have never known a Preacher who suffered at a loss of words. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

I'm really enjoying watching this come together, preacher. I love the shape of the Cape Fear which is why I couldn't resist it as my first build...... The strip build will take it to another dimension I reckon. :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
preacher

Post by preacher »

I sure hope so, your build was an inspiration to me to go with the Cape Fear. That new video of you paddling around recently was also almost more than I could bear. I noticed that you were paddling against a current and the CF just slipped through it with some gentle paddling. WOW!

Well, I've started fitting the mid panels to the lower panels and the forms. I found that my conversions to strip panels were off by a little bit so I'm having to do some minor surgery to get them to fit snuggly (also make some notes on my worksheets were I went wrong). One thing that is great about using the strips instead of the plywood, I don't have to worry about sanding through an external veneer.

I should be able to get them stitched up this weekend and do some fillet work.
preacher

Post by preacher »

It's a miracle how much work you can get done when you feel good and when the weather is good.

The lower and mid panels are set with the forms and filleted (not the forms) in position. Then I pulled the forms and filled the fillet gaps and SURPRIZE - SURPRIZE, the panels held their shape. Should be able to sand them down tomorrow and get some glass on the inside of the mid panels and blend it with the lower panels. Once that is dried I will reinstalle the forms and install the upper panels. I have noticed that so far this thing weighs nothing . . . very light.

Tonight, while everything is curing out for sanding tomorrow I laid out the upper panels and will start assembling them tomorrow also.