Laker 18 A aka (Cuda 18)

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Laker 18 A aka (Cuda 18)

Post by tx river rat »

Well here we go again. this boat has had more curves than Marylin had.
I have started this boat 3 times and always stopped because it didnt feel right.I think I have it right now.
It will be based on the cuda 18 a Basically a long asymmetrical Laker 18 ft.
Will have my balanced decks and a few more little tricks.
Plywood is out the window and will build her with white pine and western red cedar .
Be a strip stitch and glue like the Duck
Started cutting strips today,I have a lot going on so this may be a slow build ,but it is started anyway.
Ron
Narwhale
Type of boat I like: kayaks

Re: Laker 18 A aka (Cuda 18)

Post by Narwhale »

Ron,
Hope your finished boat looks as good as Marylin did... :lol:
And I like the idea. Still thinking of that 20' Okwata double kayak but think 20' is too long for me to store and transport. My gut tells me 18' is the longest for me.
My limited exerience with small boat building tells me the pine and cedar strip construction you worked out is an extremely good construction method for these boats.
Am looking forward to the construction photos and progress.
Next subject.
My wife and kids did an intervention on me a while back. One of the things I learned, besides how much they love me, is that I am powerless over boats and boatbuilding. I mean, once I look lovenly at a boat, this warm glow just comes over me and then more pictures and ideas of absolutely gorgous boats come into my mind, and then boats take over almost every single thought in my day.
Do you know anything about this? :mrgreen:
Rich S. (Houston)
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Rick
Yep I do ,I usually plan one of these boats in my head for months before I start the cutting.
This one I have been working on for over a year.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

This boat is driving me nutts.
I have a few strips cut but it is just to cold and wet to start gluing her up .
Come on summer.
Ron
Narwhale
Type of boat I like: kayaks

Post by Narwhale »

Ron,
Been driving over the Brazos River down here in Richmond and boy was it high water this weekend.
If I remember right, wasn't that the planned river paddle/camp-out/liers perfecto weekend? :lol:
Good call, postponing.
Rich S.