Cheap Plywood

Post your own building tips and "how to" ideas here.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Chuck
Glad I am innocent here
Oh whats a box
Ron
Graham
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Graham »

Well that told me!, I find that no matter what subject is discussed i have an oppinion right or wrong. I just find the atraction of individualising and endless experimentation to find someting different is what makes us human. Through this website and the comments held within its contents I have found like minded people that dont mind giving advice on their own experiances. I in no way wanted to upset members just to pass on my own experiances of how it is in my small part of the world.
allways respectfull Graham
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I don't think anyone is upset.

I always error toward the side of caution. I've said it before: Can a good paddle craft be made from elcheapo ply? Sure... IF you know what to look for and how to identify problems.

Someone brand new to boat building may not have that valuable experience. Each person has to make that choice for themselves.

What I don't want on this particular forum is explanations and direction of how to build with cheap ply. That will imply I'm giving it my blessing for all to use.

And even though it would be hard to hold me legally accountable if someones boat falls apart from using cheap ply and the paddler gets hurt or worse, I certainly don't want that on my conscious.
-Matt. Designer.
Graham

Post by Graham »

well said that man, your instructions are some of the best i have seen. Quite agree that on a first ever build reading the instructions at least three time to ensure it all sinks in. I also uesd file pockets on the notes so that i didnt get resin on them. Its just as we gain confidence and want to differing processes.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

No problem with that at all. :D
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Graham wrote:well said that man, your instructions are some of the best i have seen. Quite agree that on a first ever build reading the instructions at least three time to ensure it all sinks in. I also used file pockets on the notes so that i didnt get resin on them. Its just as we gain confidence and want to differing processes.
I have to agree with you.

Matt's instructions leave no question about what to do and how to do it to achieve your desires results.

It is always best to read the instructions , several times and then think ahead of each building process as you proceed to completion. This way you know where you are going and what needs to be done.

The rest of the confusion on here is not Matt's fault ... It is mine and mine alone.

Some of the guy's (besides belonging/being on here ) are also members of my web site and I do not run or have a business on there .... sometimes we do get a little carried away with information ( OK .. A Lot ) and it seams to slip in over here on Matt's site in the process.
Especially since we are frequent visitors to both of them and sometimes we forget which one we are on...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it .... I approve this statement. :lol: Sorry it's an election year over here and is really a joke. :lol:

Best way to build a boat is to follow the designers recommendations , that helps you and the designer. Him by designing it and suggesting on how it needs to be made and you to have a craft you have faith in and can enjoy for a long time.... If not becoming an heirloom later. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Graham

Post by Graham »

cant argue with that Chuck , dispite my argumentative style still find your comments compelling and all this millions of miles around the world. Great stuff this technology!
confusedSea
Type of boat I like: Swind17 dk sasq

Re: Cheap Plywood

Post by confusedSea »

:( :cry: :evil: I hope I am wrong about this, but upon looking at the Lowe's website, I found that the item number that used to correspond to this exterior grade 5.2mm plywood has now been taken over by some different "utility" grade B4 plywood. So unless you have a stash of the old stuff, or can run and get the last sheets of it from your local store, we all may be at the end of our cheap ply binge.

:cry:
jtz
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

When I want some good wood for a boat and the box stores don't have anything that I am thinking about , there is a lumber company that has the plywood. If they don't then they will order it for me.
They have some really nice stuff and it runs about the same in cost as the box stores. It pays to have a back up place to go to.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Most folks on here know I have built several boats from cheap ply,well the last time I built a boat it was impossible to find any ply that I would build with,it has really gone downhill.
This is coming from someone that has used it ,strip build or use marine plywood.
Ron