Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Post by rodot »

I followed up with another vendor, System Three, and they said at the bare minimum, the epoxy has to be cured enough to be sanded with creating any gooey little balls. So if you sand it and it makes dust, you should be ok.

Waiting longer (up to 5-7 days) can be beneficial to ensure that cure stage but be aware of amine blush issues.

The time between when I put the last coat of epoxy on the deck and the first coat of varnish was about five days. The epoxy I am using (Bote Cote) is a two to one mix and the manufacturer claims that it will not get amine blush. The reports I have read in local forums and boat building magazines, have been very favourable of this product, but I guess time will tell.

I was very tempted to launch the boat and give it a trial prior to varnishing it but I thought it would be nice to have it finished before I use it.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Your a much more patient man than me. I couldn't wait on any of my boats. :D
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Its Finished!!!
You Bewdy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Guys. This has allways seemed like a community build. I have supplied the arms and legs and you guys have provided the expertise and encouragement. Anyway I reckon we have done pretty good. The boat is by no means perfect, but it aint half bad either.

I know that we have all placed heaps of praise on Matt before, but it is well placed. The design speaks for itself and the plans and instruction manual were comprehensive, well written and easy to follow. Matts support and backup has been fantastic and praise must be given for the way he has encouraged a community of people with a passion, to share that passion in these forums.

I seem to have the bug now, and with the knowledge and skills I have aquired on this build, I reckon the next one will be a bloody bewdy.

Anyway, I'm off now to paddle in my new Aussie Occy. I'll let you no how it goes.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Better have a place to store it that you can lock up. Otherwise it'll get gone!
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

rodot wrote:Its Finished!!!
You Bewdy :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks Guys. This has allways seemed like a community build. I have supplied the arms and legs and you guys have provided the expertise and encouragement. Anyway I reckon we have done pretty good. The boat is by no means perfect, but it aint half bad either.

I know that we have all placed heaps of praise on Matt before, but it is well placed. The design speaks for itself and the plans and instruction manual were comprehensive, well written and easy to follow. Matts support and backup has been fantastic and praise must be given for the way he has encouraged a community of people with a passion, to share that passion in these forums.

I seem to have the bug now, and with the knowledge and skills I have aquired on this build, I reckon the next one will be a bloody bewdy.

Anyway, I'm off now to paddle in my new Aussie Occy. I'll let you no how it goes.

Cheers
Roger
Before you offer any praise to anyone you better see if it that beauty will float. :wink: I did notice one imperfection in it , nothing major , just a minor item , it is not here in my shop for me to paddle. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Jimmy W
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Jimmy W »

A job well done. That is a pretty boat.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Before you offer any praise to anyone you better see if it that beauty will float.
Oh ye of little faith :D

Wow...I love it.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Good looking boat Roger :D :D :D
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

I've been waiting to see a piccie of that boat in the sunlight. :shock: Knew it was gonna be a goodun. Thats a little belter Roger. Well done mate! Now enjoy the paddling bit.
cridgie down under

Post by cridgie down under »

WOW .What a great kayak congratulations, I have taken the liberty of using one of of your pics on my desk top display,so every time i switch on up comes your okky full screen. What an inspiration
I was going to post some pics of my okky build but you have done such a great job, that i feel all bases have been covered. I have finished all panel cutouts and completed my Q/A
check and am now ready to join all panels .one step has me a bit confused ie, the reference to panels 2 where the measure is to be taken from, Would it be possible to have someone draw up a sketch showing panel position above or below the string line . i do not want to join any panels as i am now confused .
Any assistance would be appreciated
once again great build mate
regards Ray.(cridgie down under)