Refurbishment of the Cal Sabalo 2005

Builder show and discuss their progress.
CraigLewis
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 2004

Refurbishment of the Cal Sabalo 2005

Post by CraigLewis »

Recall my 2005 Cal Sabalo is in Matt's product decription for the SOT section...or at least it used to be...so many of you pro's have taken it to another level or two your pics are appropriate. So many great upgrades are decribed in detail that I'm glad I stopped in the sanding of the crust-away of old epoxy fill-coats and set it aside. Letting other hobbies have priority.
I only took one pic during the sanding:
So I'm reading-up on the potential upgrades...certainly the rudder control from Dave...the transducer recess in the rear scupper from Craig...graphite bottom from a bunch of you.
Possibly the hand holds from Dave...safer in re-entry and no more pinched fingers. Rod holders internally at the bow from Craig...etc, etc...
If you can suggest anything else, I would appreciate it. One question for Dave is your varnish details to bring the reddish brown shade looks better with the graphite hull?
Craig
CraigLewis
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 2004

Re: Refurbishment of the Cal Sabalo 2005

Post by CraigLewis »

I practiced re-entry while the kayak was at this stage to see the benefit of lower the side panels along the cockpit well. It defintely would, but that is too major "task" for this time. Perhaps eventually lower one side 50% of the length seemed to be a good approach in visualizing the process.
These are pic's after all the sanding. I'm in the re-fillcoat stage now, but no time to take pic's while messing with runs, etc.
Only the rudder mod has been done this refurb.
I did test using dry red pigment for the inside sections. But did not put any in the epoxy for the outside.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

CraigLewis ....

I for one can appreciate what you are going threw redoing a boat...... Might call it retro fitting or advanced customizing but no matter what handle you hang on it , it is a lot of work , aggravation and thinking.

I am doing the same to one of mine I just made , and it is not one of Matt's designs , another friend of mine who will remain un-named since it has nothing to do with Matt"s web site or his designs. No matter who's design the boat , it is a lot of frustration and time consuming work to redo things but that is why we make our boats. We can improve them to the way we what them as time passes.

That is one of the great things about this forum and the willingness of everyone sharing there information and dreaming up new ideas..... It just gets better and better each day. We can't see the future but when or as it gets here then the new ideas start rolling in.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

it is a lot of frustration and time consuming work to redo things but that is why we make our boats. We can improve them to the way we what them as time passes.
Agree with most of that apart from the frustration bit. I'm currently doing a bit of modification with my Laker. Rather than finding it frustrating though I'm enjoying it as much as the initial build. Time consuming, yes. But its better than watching tv :roll: The stuff I'm doing will make it more user friendly for me. -It might not be to everyone's taste - but I've spent long enough using it to know that a few changes will suit me. When I have finished the current changes I still have a few more in mind that I'll do at another time. When I finish I'll post a bit if that's ok with Matt * and it might well suit someone else to do similar. If not I have still learned a few things already
Regards John.
*ps. Matt, pm not working and I wanna clear it with you before posting piccies because it is your design, so if you'd like to try a pm from your end to discuss it, then I can respond.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

fire away
-Matt. Designer.