LED lights for night paddling/fishing

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

LED lights for night paddling/fishing

Post by Darrells »

Here are some lights I made out of fog lights. They will be great for paddling and fishing at night. With the mounting system they can be easily removed and used around camp on overnight trips. They will run about 12 hours on a cheap 12 volt deer feeder battery.

Each light only pulls 1/3 of an amp.
The bulbs can be bought here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... n=DispPage
Darrell Sykora
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Re: LED lights for night paddling/fishing

Post by rhutchinson »

Have you used these lights yet and how do they preform? Do they light up some distance or are they mostly flood? How about power usage? What do you power them with?.......Pretty nosey aren't I :lol:

Thanks
Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

These are flood lights. I am currently building some spots. They pull 350ma each. A 12 or 6 volt "deer feeder" will a pair of them about 14 hours. I am also building some that will throw light 250+ yards for kayaks/ Bows and rifles with an adapter. They are still in the R&D stage but I hope to have everything sorted out in a couple of months. TxRiverRat has one he is testing for me on a bow if you want a unbiased opinion of them.
Darrell Sykora
Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Post by Graybeard »

If you want to see what the real flashlight geeks are up to, visit Candlepower Forums. I spent way too much time there back when I was into LEDs and drivers.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

For example, here's a howto on putting a high-performance LED in a Maglite:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=238641
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I'm a member there also.
Darrell Sykora
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Thanks for the reply Darrell. I think I'll have to work myself up something along those lines. Would be handy for a lot of things.

Graybeard...I had no idea there were such a thing as flashlight geeks!

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Darrel
Is a guru on these lights ,he rigged a couple smaller ones we used on our bows on the hunt in south Texas and they are BRIGHT and use very little juice.
Ron
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

I went to that forum and looked around a bit. Saw one post that looked interesting and started reading it. I think it was written in a foreign language. I knew how to read the words but had no idea what they ment. :oops: But it was an interesting visit.
Bob