Townsend

Builder show and discuss their progress.
NZMike
Type of boat I like: Townsend

Townsend

Post by NZMike »

It's about time I posted this; finished her about 9 months ago but haven't got round to sharing.

I opted for the 15 1/2 townsend and I enjoyed every minute of the building process - although got a bit obsessed at times. Took a lot longer to build than I thought... 130 hrs all-up. Would have been a lot quicker if I'd decided to paint her earlier as I was going for the all-wood look initially and had fun matching the epoxy filler and getting it to behave in cold conditions.

I left the decks and hatches as ply (to show what might have been) and the gunwales are mahogany. Seats and yoke are cedar... In hindsight I wish I had used something a bit tougher. Bottom is graphite... thanks for the tip in this forum!

Extremely happy with the way she performs, very stable and heaps of room. Can't wait to get out fishing again soon!
Mike
Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Re: Townsend

Post by Graybeard »

Good looking boat! Hope you've had a good time getting her wet.
NZMike

Post by NZMike »

Thanks Graybeard!

Yes had her in the sea and the lake and caught some fish already. The kids love playing around in it. Now making an outrigger pontoon to provide extra stability and to mount a 2hp outboard on.
Mike
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice!!
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

I'm a bit of a timber finish fan but must say that a painted hull / timber deck combination is a striking combination and yours is a really good example. Combined with details like the scuppered inwales and cane seats she is an absolute beauty. 8)

Guess we'll have to forgive you for holding out on us for 9 months :D .

Good luck with the pontoon.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
NZMike

Post by NZMike »

Thanks guys! :D
Mike
NZMike

Re: Townsend - Now with Pontoon

Post by NZMike »

Here's some photos of the finished pontoon/outrigger. Not the prettiest but a very practical addition. I replaced the cane seats as well... the span was too much for the cedar supports.

The pontoon height is fully adjustable and it only takes a coupla minutes to attach and remove the whole assembly. Two welded aluminium bars fit in-between the slotted gunwales and the spar is bolted to the underside of the gunwales with a removable bar - fixed with two bolts & split washer.

Very happy - she does about 8 knots on 3/4 speed with 2 adults, is exceptionally stable, and the lowest speed on the motor is the ideal trolling speed for a rapala or black toby! Looking forward to opening her up full throttle once the motor's run in.

Tip: Aluminium is essential... the wooden prototype was a disaster. It snapped, the motor ended up fully immersed and I went for a swim (long story)! :lol:

Mike
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Wow!! That's a beautiful looking boat.
Nice work.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
NZMike