Fiberglass cloth vs. fiberglass mat

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Fiberglass cloth vs. fiberglass mat

Post by Phishtech »

I now have 2 people foaming at the mouth to help me build my first boat, the Laker. One is my boss whom I introduced to kayaking, and a work partner who used to work in a boat repair shop. While showing them the plans I have and telling them what I entend to do with them, the last one suggested I use mat, instead of cloth to do the seams in the interior. I keep wondering if he's correct to tell me that the mat is stronger than the cloth. To me, random fibers with no weave can't be stronger than woven cloth. Any suggestions here to help me decide?

Thanks
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Fiberglass cloth vs. fiberglass mat

Post by Oldsparkey »

Chopped mat is the filler or center glass in most cases while the weave ( cloth) is the finish or outside cloth. The weave (cloth) is a lot stronger and better for us to use since we normally only use one layer.

Look at it this way , when you purchase a complete kit from a designer they furnish the woven cloth to use on the boat , not the chopped mat.

If you do not get the glass from them they recommend the woven cloth for use and not the chopped mat

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Phish
My first boat ,I used some mat, It weighed 80 lbs when I finished,it will soak up twice as much resin,
Dont use it on this kind of build.
Ron
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

O.K., I'll only use the cloth on my boats. Thanks for the input. Phishtech