got plans

Builder show and discuss their progress.
i smell smoke
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

got plans

Post by i smell smoke »

matt i got my plans today thanks very much ,
new swamp girl , i feel like a kid a few weeks before xmas .
problem is yesterday i was given a couple of wood turning jobs to do that is going to take up a few days one of them requires me to make a bed extension on my lathe and i will get a few dollars for the jobs so i will get stuck into these first then make some room in the shed evict the dog and get started on a swamp girl :D
looking at all the build pics in the forum i think i am going to have to hijack a truck that carts clamps or spend more on clamps than on boat building materials , been looking at clamps in every place i go into that sells tools for the past few weeks maybe i should ask for a good price on a pallet buy.
looking forward to this its been a long time since i built a boat , 1969 i think dad and i built the last one .

johno
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Re: got plans

Post by preacher »

Do you have Home Depot down there? If so they carry spring clamps for 89-99 cents each. If not maybe us Texicans can send you some.
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

Johno - Have fun with the build mate!

Small boats are lots'a fun! and building one is soo! rewarding

Be warned though, you will waste a lot of time just standing in different spots admiring your handy work :lol:

I got a lot of my clamps from "Crazy Clarks", they would get them in stock from time to time
Nice and cheap but a bit weak though, a few have failed

Rob
i smell smoke
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by i smell smoke »

might have the clamp problem sorted , i scoured ebay and found a decent seller that is selling 6.5 inch spring clamps in lots a 4 sent him an email and struck a deal on a lot of 40 they will work out at 1.86 each posted ( $74.50 for 40 )can't see me doing any better than that , the bonus is he is in queensland not melbourne like most of em .
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Not a bad deal for delivered.
-Matt. Designer.
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Hi John,

Check Super Cheap Auto they have them in bag's of all sizes at a resonable price (about 16 for about $20) I used about 3bags worth. :wink:

Bruce
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
i smell smoke

Post by i smell smoke »

Ossie Bruce wrote:Hi John,

Check Super Cheap Auto they have them in bag's of all sizes at a resonable price (about 16 for about $20) I used about 3bags worth. :wink:

Bruce
yeah thanks mate but i looked there when i was in toowoomba the other day bunny's had the same thing but half the clamps in the pak are little tiny things that i thought would be next to useless , anyway dont matter i have some coming via ebay .
right now i dont need them i just need a new spine i have stuffed mine and cant get to the bone cracker, bridges are under water.
life was not meant to be easy .
i smell smoke

Post by i smell smoke »

got clamps
pretty quick ebayer this guy , got the parcel this morning 40 clamps i hope they are good enough for the job otherwise i have 40 heavy duty clothes pegs for the washing line Image
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

i smell smoke wrote: i hope they are good enough for the job otherwise i have 40 heavy duty clothes pegs for the washing line
G'day Johno.
They'll be fine mate. I've used them heaps in my builds. Quick and easy to use.
Good luck with the build.
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
i smell smoke

Post by i smell smoke »

well 3 days work and i have the shed cleaned up ( no kidding you could not move in there stepping over stuff everywhere ).
took a heck of a lot of stuff to the dump and a bit of stuff home ( the shed is in the back of my store in town ).
made some shelving just from bits of steel and stuff i had lying around ( still need more shelves )
also on one side of the shed there was a drive over pit for working on vehicles or 5 foot deep 3 foot wide and 15 foot long hole in the floor so i welded some pipe cross pieces across it and boarded it up with a false floor and gained a lot more floor area .
there was an old bench in there that i inherited with the building it was low and 5 foot square and strong it was made for repairing lister engines and pumps on ,so i cut it in half added more legs and made 2 benches 5 foot long 2.5 feet wide . gave them both a very heavy ply wood top each so they can be used as separate benches , then put them end to end and made another top to sit along both of them 16 feet by 3 feet, canoe building bench .
the epoxy is on its way some where in transit and i pick up the marine ply tomorrow and a few other sundry bits and pieces .
still have the wood turning jobs to do though i need to get stuck into those .
also got some farm work coming up next week ( 200 acres of lucerne hay to make if the rain ever stops ).