New Laker Launch

Builder show and discuss their progress.
PAT
Type of boat I like: LAKER

New Laker Launch

Post by PAT »

I have tried on several occasions to load photos, but the curse seems to be winning.I hope this goew through. I launched my Laker on Saturday. I started in March and had plenty of delays, work, two boys, wife, etc. I was very happy with the build process. The kayak was my first stich and glue, but overall was straight forward. Matt's plans are great. The boat weighs aproximately 43 lbs with two quarter turn deck plates and adjustable foot rests. I have not decided on a permanent seat or back band.

Thanks for your help with the build and I look forward to my nexy build!

Patrick
Greenville, NC
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Re: New Laker Launch

Post by Phishtech »

Well done, the Laker 14 is my next build and I hope I can do as well as you did. Congrats and keep posting.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Nice job Pat. Very neatly done and the colours work well. The black highlights and hatch provide a nice contrast and the white interior adds to it. There has been a variety of styles applied to Lakers and although they are different they all seem to look good.

How do you find it performance wise? (eg stability, tracking etc).
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Good job there patrick. :D
I like the detailing and it works well with the wood.
Lots of fun ahead for you......both paddling her....and your next build! :)
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Patrick.....
That is one sharp looking Laker and you did a great job on making her. Now if ... Scratch that... No if's And's or But's . I know you will have a lot more fun paddling her and relaxing out on the water. Besides the fun of making a boat with your hands is when the pleasure comes two fold while paddle her. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

great color contrast.
-Matt. Designer.
fransjoe
Type of boat I like: SOT Fishing Kayaks

Post by fransjoe »

She looks beautiful, I hope mine will be on par with the beauties I see you guys build
A rough day on the water beats any day at work
PAT
Type of boat I like: LAKER

Post by PAT »

Thanks for the nice comments. Just for informational purposes, I used Interlux Brightsides paint for the interior, bottom and details. It was great and very easy to yield a professional look.

As for the performance, I took it out for a very short paddle and photo shoot so the true tell is yet to be determined. Stability is and area I am a little concerned with as compared to my other recreational kayaks (Old Town - plastic). The Laker seemed to be more responsive than my plastic kayak. The Laker seems to "rock" more than my other boat, especially when a large boat wake comes along. I never felt uneasy in the Laker, just a tad less stabile. That may improve as I learn the boats ability. I could not eskimo roll my other kayak, but think the Laker is doable. The weight and ability to reach speed with this boat is amazing.

I look forward to learning more of the boats ability.

Best to you all!
Patrick