Next Boat Help

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
PAT
Type of boat I like: LAKER

Next Boat Help

Post by PAT »

I am trying to decide on my next build. I am looking for a stable kayak for some longer trips, fishing in coastal North Carolina. I am looking for something along the lines of a Wilderness Systems - Pungo 140. I have looked at the Okwata, but wonder how the stability compares with a boat similar to the Pungo 140. Thanks for any help

Patrick
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Next Boat Help

Post by jem »

Cape Fear?
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Mate, you have already build a laker, (fine build BTW. Lovely boat.)

I paddle and fish both a Laker 13 and the prototype Okwata. Okwata is a superior boat in speed seaworthyness and stability and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an Occy will outperform a pungo 140 in every aspect.

Cape Fear will also outperform a pungo in my opinion only will be even more stable than it.

The pungo 140 is claimed by its makers to weigh around 24 - 25 kilograms (depending on model) a heavy boat by any standard and I think they are probably minimising the weight.

A comparison, my Laker weighs 14 kilograms and my Occy about 17, I think.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
PAT

Post by PAT »

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the look of the Okwata and if the stability margininaly improved over the Laker, that may be my answer! I had not considered the Cape Fear because of the large cockpit opening. I would like to be able to fish some coastal areas and was concerned about the openess of the Cape Fear. I guess I could deck it over more to reduce the the cockpit opening?

Thanks-
Patrick
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

I can help with providing a more traditional deck for the Cape Fear.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I second the Okwata! I have not yet completed mine to test it out, but I trust Harry's opinion on it. I would bet a person could build it easily under 40 pounds.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Ossie Bruce
Type of boat I like: OKWATA.

Post by Ossie Bruce »

Hi Pat,

I have fished out of the Okwata and have caught several large good fighting fish, 8) (from 600mm, 2' up to 1.2m, app 4') and have no hint of the yack being unstable or out of control, I do get towed some but only use 3kg line, the other people I go with have yet to catch any, and I have to go slow on the way home so they can keep up?

It is also the only yack I have used, hope this helps. :lol:

Bruce
Ossie Bruce OKWATA Wet at last
North Queensland
Australia
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Hi Pat.
Just reading you question and since Matt threw the Cape Fear in the mix I thought I'd suggest you read the summary at the end my build log in case you haven't seen it.
It might answer your questions/doubts about the CF.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2212&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=110
The reference to the 12 and 14 footers was because at the time I ordered the plans, these sizes were available as well.
I'm still intrigued by the idea of a smaller Cape Fear and after working my way through my (too long) "next build" list, I was thinking of asking Matt to make them available again......
However......you could get the jump on me and add those to your options list too if Matt's agreeable.... :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
PAT

Post by PAT »

Thanks for the reviews of both designs. I have spent some time on kayaks, mostly with plastice ugly boats until I finished the Laker 13. I chose the Laker because of the simple lines yet attractive looks for a great fist build. I have learned to appreciate the light weight, good secondary stability and speed of the boat.

My next build I am putting a little thought into to try for a "work of art" in the looks department but have more initial stability for fishing and still keep the secondary stability and speed. I have studied the design drawings for the Okwata and CF and do not understand how a 26" wide boat (Okwata) can remotely compare in stability with a 31" wide (CF). Can anyone explain how these vastly different designs can be close in the stability department?

Thanks- Patrick
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Much will depend on the payload on board. It's hard to give "% of increased stability".

I have the original Cape Fear prototype. The way it's designed, you have to be trying really hard to flip it. Okwata will require more control but not huge amounts more.

Okwata will be more stable than the Laker because of it's shape and longer length. So if you think a longer Laker would fit your needs, then the Okwata will do just a little bit better.
-Matt. Designer.