I wish....

Area for ideas about designs you want to see. Guests welcome to post!
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: I wish....

Post by Oldsparkey »

Something I have not seen on this post about the length of the boat that I like to consider.
A 14 is nice and I can get my stuff in there but a 15 or 16 is better because it offers more room. Nothing says you have to use all of the room and pack every inch of it , it is nice to have a little spare footage in case it is needed. You can't add footage to a boat when paddling it.

There are plenty of other advantages :D plus there are some disadvantages but those disavantages are few and far in between.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

I wanted the shorter boat because it fits MY needs better than a 15 footer. I'm building the TV 15-29 right now and it will be used frequently, but my main goal was to get a shorter one that incorporates the advantages of the 15. One of my favorite launch sites is under a bridge, down a steep bank, onto a short concrete ledge to enter the kayak and one wrong move and I'm in 12' of water. It's a bear to do with my 14'-6" Ultimate, then get it out and back up the bank. A shorter, lighter one would work perfectly.

Believe me, I know all the advantages of a longer kayak, but, who said it on this forum "there is no perfect kayak that covers all situations"? It's OK if some of us want a shorter boat, if you know what I mean. We don't all paddle on long rivers or launch at parks and boat ramps.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

That's Ron , txriverrat........ But his standard one is .......
There ain't no perfect tent,wood,boat,hatch,sleeping bag or women
Quote from a Texas Redneck.

Myself , most of my boats are removed off the top of the Jeep and dropped into a river or lake that has no ramps but lots of shallow water and sand or mud. If anything you have to get your feet wet to get the boat to paddling depth in that water.

This is at the end of about a mile long dirt trail into the swamp. The boat is Joe's TV 15 x 29 decked over , we also launched two wood canoes , later one at a time , mine was the 14 x 30 Sasquatch for the trip.

That's the beauty of our boats , they can be launched anywhere the builder wants to. :D

Chuck.....
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Phishtech

Post by Phishtech »

For a boat that suits MY needs and no one else's, in my particular neck of the woods and the launch sites I visit and water I paddle and the fish I catch and how I catch them, is still a 13'-6" asymetrical, touring pirogue with a V bottom that can handle 300 lbs. easily. What do you say, Matt ???

<edited by Matt>
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Phishtech wrote:Ffor a boat that suits MY needs and no one else's, in my particular neck of the woods and the launch sites I visit and water I paddle and the fish I catch and how I catch them, is still a 13'-6" asymetrical, touring pirogue with a V bottom that can handle 300 lbs. easily. What do you say, Matt ???
The TV Pirogue can do that easily. I did it with my 12'6" Honey Bee. Cept no Vee bottom :oops:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee56 ... YS%20BOAT/
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Phish
Dont take what I said wrong, I have built 4 boats at 12 or 13 ft.
This is just my experience with them,they didnt paddle near as good. and you never know the other 2 ft is there from a 13 to a 15 ft boat. My time in my yaks is 2 % loading and unloading launching 98% paddling, so the paddling and straight tracking and wind handling ability are the most important to me.
But I say this loud and clear thats me not everyone. I just throw my experiences out there for there 2 cents worth.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I edited a couple posts to clear up a misunderstanding.

Getting back to the original question, a 13' version is certainly doable. Got a couple things to finish up. Been working on a BIG project that I hope to have out before Turkey Day.

13' will appeal to many that want something more compact for darting around rivers, ponds, calm lakes with lots of hidden coves, etc.
-Matt. Designer.
Phishtech

Post by Phishtech »

jem wrote:I edited a couple posts to clear up a misunderstanding.

Getting back to the original question, a 13' version is certainly doable. Got a couple things to finish up. Been working on a BIG project that I hope to have out before Turkey Day.

13' will appeal to many that want something more compact for darting around rivers, ponds, calm lakes with lots of hidden coves, etc.
Matt, you're wise beyond your years. Thank you. I'll be through with the TV 15-29 by Thanksgiving and probably ready to start something else, so I'll patiently wait for your design to be complete. Thanks again.
Phishtech

Post by Phishtech »

tx river rat wrote:Phish
Dont take what I said wrong, I have built 4 boats at 12 or 13 ft.
This is just my experience with them,they didnt paddle near as good. and you never know the other 2 ft is there from a 13 to a 15 ft boat. My time in my yaks is 2 % loading and unloading launching 98% paddling, so the paddling and straight tracking and wind handling ability are the most important to me.
But I say this loud and clear thats me not everyone. I just throw my experiences out there for there 2 cents worth.
Ron
No offense taken, Ron. I know the water you paddle and a shorter boat wouldn't be the best choice. I have to make do with what I have locally which is short sections of bayous, marsh, and some small lakes which a shorter boat can handle better. The 15 will be used primarily for camping trips so I can put the wife in it and use it as a tandem, or when I get a chance to get out into the bays around here in the Fall when the water is calm.

BTW, I haven't seen any pics of your latest creation lately. Phishtech
Phishtech

Post by Phishtech »

preacher wrote:
Phishtech wrote:Ffor a boat that suits MY needs and no one else's, in my particular neck of the woods and the launch sites I visit and water I paddle and the fish I catch and how I catch them, is still a 13'-6" asymetrical, touring pirogue with a V bottom that can handle 300 lbs. easily. What do you say, Matt ???
The TV Pirogue can do that easily. I did it with my 12'6" Honey Bee. Cept no Vee bottom :oops:
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee56 ... YS%20BOAT/
I looked at your pics and you did an excellent job on the Bee. I know Matt can draw up a 13.5 x 28 and make it work, and it would be perfect for the short runs I'll make in it. I keep studying the TV and it has turned out to be an awsome all around boat, a shorter one should be perfect for me and still have most of the characteristics of the 15. Phish