Drive Well Project

Forum discussing building a well in a boat to mount fin drives.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: Drive Well Project

Post by PiratePete »

I cant measure thing today as I have just done an end pour.

The drive sits between the hold in pieces correctly but it did touch on the drum. I put a wedge in side the well to hold it apart before I glued the stiffeners in & that made it keep the shape I wanted.

I think its basically right & I may have made it a bit tight.

I am also thinking of running a piece of laminex (1mm thick bench top covering) as a shim around the out side of the top of the jig before I make the second drive well for the second Wadefish. Im thinking this would then make the well taper slightly from top to bottom. This would make it easier to get off the jig in one piece & also fix my rub problem.

(This is the first time I have tried building a Stitch & Glue boat am still learning the tricks.)
CC TX
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by CC TX »

PiratePete wrote:I am also thinking of running a piece of laminex (1mm thick bench top covering) as a shim around the out side of the top of the jig before I make the second drive well for the second Wadefish. Im thinking this would then make the well taper slightly from top to bottom. This would make it easier to get off the jig in one piece & also fix my rub problem.
Good idea on the taper. I didn't think of that.
PiratePete wrote:(This is the first time I have tried building a Stitch & Glue boat am still learning the tricks.)
You are doing a great job for a first time builder. You are also coming up with many inovations. We never stop learning. Someone is always coming up with new tricks.
-----
David
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

CC TX wrote:You are doing a great job for a first time builder. You are also coming up with many inovations.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

I glued up the second drive well yesterday & just took it off the former tonight. I did put the "shim" of laminex around the top of the former & it pulled off easy as. :D :D :D :D
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I'm sure glad you guys are working out all the details for me. :wink: Now to just work up the courage to hack into my Sabalo. I think I will just remove the entire forward cockpit floor rather than trying to only cut out what I need. I think it will be easier.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

PiratePete wrote:I glued up the second drive well yesterday & just took it off the former tonight. I did put the "shim" of laminex around the top of the former & it pulled off easy as. :D :D :D :D
Glad to hear that the tapered fixture worked out well for you. :D
Now that you have completed the first one and made several trips in your kayak, do you have any issues or suggestions to changes for the drive well?
-----
David
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

No David the well its magic I have only made the taper on the second one other than that I will continue the same as the first. :D :D :D :D :D

I did change the order I glued things & this made building it easier.

The first thing I did this time was glue the "E" to the "F" & drill them to suit the drive & then set these up on the jig & glued the "A", "B" & "C"s to the "F"

When you have typed up your construction instructions PM to me & I will proof read them for you if you want.
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

craiggamesh wrote:I'm sure glad you guys are working out all the details for me. :wink: Now to just work up the courage to hack into my Sabalo. I think I will just remove the entire forward cockpit floor rather than trying to only cut out what I need. I think it will be easier.
I know what you mean about working up the courage to hack into your kayak. I had that problem when I chopped off the bottom of my Sabalo to make an Integral Rudder. That was a real challenge for me. I cut into the kayak before I had it figured out. Looking back though, I feel that it turned out much better than I expected; and, I am very happy that I got the courage to do it.

I think that you will enjoy your Sabalo even more if you had a Hobie drive in it. If you decide to get started, I will try to help if you ever need it. I would suggest that you build the well before you hack into your kayak. Once you build the well, it should make it much easier to cut into the kayak.
-----
David
CC TX

Post by CC TX »

PiratePete wrote:No David the well its magic I have only made the taper on the second one other than that I will continue the same as the first. :D :D :D :D :D

I did change the order I glued things & this made building it easier.

The first thing I did this time was glue the "E" to the "F" & drill them to suit the drive & then set these up on the jig & glued the "A", "B" & "C"s to the "F"

When you have typed up your construction instructions PM to me & I will proof read them for you if you want.
I assembled another well recently. I did the same with the E-F parts. Also, glued A-C-A and B-C-B together. Then assembled them all together. I'm still trying to figure out how to simplify things even more; including the assembly fixture.

Yes, I still need to do the construction instructions. That's work! :lol:
-----
David
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

CC TX wrote: Yes, I still need to do the construction instructions. That's work! :lol:
Yes it more fun to build boats :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D