Chapleau High School Laker

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
CHSlaker
Type of boat I like: free Laker plan kayak

Chapleau High School Laker

Post by CHSlaker »

The grade ten woodworking class at Chapleau High School are using the "Free Laker" plans to build a kayak as a class project. We started to plot the shapes on paper as our wood has not arrived as of yet. We have the first panel completed, ready to cut out those templates. We hope to update as we go along with this project. :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Chapleau High School Laker

Post by jem »

that's awesome!
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Cool going gang.

Dont forget we all love pics of the process as it comes together :D :D :D
CHSlaker

Post by CHSlaker »

We have finally received our plywood material!! To keep ourselved busy while waiting we have been making paddles and have drawn the templates on paper using a sheet of OSB as a guide and have cut out the templates to trace on our plywood. We are using "Mahogany Underlay" as our building material. It is 5 mm thick.

CHSlaker

Post by CHSlaker »

Our handmade paddles are started from a clean "free of numerous knots if possible" piece of pine. We cut a shaft and then we can laminate cedar or other types of wood followed by the pine. We are using cedar as we have a supply that has been recycled for our use. It is appealing to the eye and keeps the weight down also. After it is glued, we then measure and mark the middle and our do not cross lines which give us a total of 10mm. Then wood at the top and bottom is removed with the use of a portable electric planer.

Image Image