Glassing Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
ralphobarly
Type of boat I like: Trapper designs

Glassing Trapper

Post by ralphobarly »

Hello all,

I'm currently building a trapper and have the panels cut out. I was wondering if it would be safe to glass the panels while they are flat, if only on the inside, to make glassing the inside easier. Would it be possible in this design? Or would bending them when I stitch it together break the glass and epoxy?

Thanks

Matthew
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Re: Glassing Trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi Matty
I built the Aussi Trapper, and I did the sealing coat both sides, and then glassed the insides before I stitched it.
A couple of tips. On the sealing coat, rub off as much epoxy as you can, leaving the surface almost dry.
And when glassing, scrape as much epoxy off with a credit card. (move around, rather than scrape off) Look through the photo
s and you will get the idea.
"Dry" surfaces save a heap of sanding
http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... ing108.jpg
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You "can" glass the panels flat. But you will have to apply fiberglass again to the seams. So you'll be doing more work to get the same result. Plus it will be harder to make it look nice and smooth.

There will be some compression and/or tension on the panels but it won't be enough to "break" the glass or epoxy. Can't say the same for polyester resin.
-Matt. Designer.
ralphobarly

Post by ralphobarly »

Thanks for your reply guys. My main concern was to protect the inside wood with glass. And from what I've seen, glassing the inside of the hull is a nightmare. So I'm find with doing just the seams if it means skipping that part haha. Or would you recommend doing the full inside glassing anyway?

Thanks very much again

Matthew
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

My 2 cents worth on your question..........

The boat will have a slight flex to it and if you run up on something it will really flex and if both sides are glassed then you have two reinforcement areas for the center wood core. With just one side glassed the side that isn't would flex more and could cause a problem. Just glassing the seams offers protection to them but not the total interior of the boat.

The outside needs to be glassed from wear and tear while paddling , the inside as a reinforcement and to protect the wood from paddler wear and tear on it , getting in and out and moving around.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

If you are worried about glassing the interior you might want to consider the technique I used on my Laker. After the hull was stitched together and filleted I glassed each side and the bottom separately so it was done in 3 operations. Yes, it takes longer but you always have gravity working with you because you turn the boat so whatever part is being glassed is horizontal. Also you get 2 overlaps which can be arranged to cover one of the joins on each side and give extra strength along that area.

Some people would rather just get it done in 1 go but it is another option if you are really worried about the difficulty level.

Just a word on Col's comments regarding "dry" surfaces saving on sanding: I know what he means and his intent is correct however I think the term "matt" would be a better way to think of it. It needs to be wet but with enough resin squeegeed off to show the glass weave clearly.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

The inside is where the strength of a composite structure when it takes a hit. the outside is for wear. glassing one side you dont have a full composite and probably a 1/3 the strength of a boat glassed inside and out.
Ron
ralphobarly

Post by ralphobarly »

Thanks for your replies. My intentions were to glass the inside of the panels initially, before stitching together. Then stitch together the hull. Do the seems on the inside and cover the entire outside in one piece of glass. ( maybe a little reinforcement in the centre ) Sorry, I should have clarified earlier. So what is your input on this idea?
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

It will work , just more trouble going back taping the seams. Doing the inside isnt that bad and one piece sure is smooth and looks good.
I bet you will spend more time sanding than it takes to put the glass in all in one piece.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

That's an acceptable way to go.
-Matt. Designer.