Two in the Laker

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Two in the Laker

Post by OnkaBob »

Went for a paddle in my usual local spot this morning and took Elly the terrier for company.
She loves to chase things, especially birds, so tends to move around a bit so she can be on whatever side has the closest ducks or whatever. This is not too much of a problem as she is small and I think the drips from the paddle bothered her more than the rocking of the boat bothered me.

A fire truck pulled up in the carpark as I was unloading and one of the fireys came over to ask about the Laker - he seemed impressed, although I was on the way by then so didn't give him a lot of detail.

Conditions were perfect - no wind and a reasonable outflow from the high tide which meant a trip upstream would see us having an easy time going home.

We paddled up to the point where the railway extension will cross the river. You can see the area marked with yellow and red in the background here.

Saw Ibis and Heron on the way back.

And Elly decided to show me how long her tongue is....

When I was washing the Laker down a bloke came over and started to ask about it. I managed to give him a few details and hopefully he will remember to look up Jem next time he is online. He said he's a cabinetmaker so with any luck we might have another gun boat builder on board. Would be good to have another local builder.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Two in the Laker

Post by jem »

Great report!
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: Two in the Laker

Post by goanywhere »

Nice report Bob.

It was great catching up with Bob last weekend. Went for a paddle up the 'Onka' as shown above. He brought his Laker and his new stripper - the 'Tandem'. I was very impressed with the build quality of both boats. Even though Bob was quite humble about the laker, my untrained eye didn't see much to detract from the very high quality overall.

I got to test out the laker, and was very impressed with the ride. It is a little 'first stage tippy' but very stable overall, and as a tourer with a bit of a load on board the first stage stability would improve I'm sure.

My nephew had a great time coming out with us, and I think he might be a future yak builder in the making.

A great afternoon out and I am glad I got to see a S&G build 'in the flesh' up close, and to get some tips from an experienced hand. I'm looking forward to getting started on my Sobalo as soon as I can get to it.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!