Laker 12'

Per request from the many Laker builders, the section is dedicated to braggin' about your Laker kayak.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Laker 12'

Post by makenmend »

needed a 12' general purpose boat that could fit in my locked truck for road trips, so the laker 13' fits the bill when down sized. [ur[Imageimg]
makenmend

Re: Laker 12'

Post by makenmend »

some buid pics [urlImage][/url]

[imgImage][/img]

[url][Image/url]
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Sure looks good MM! 8)

What's it like on the water?
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Conclusion :- this was tippy at 1st with Old Sparkys seat, but much better when butt on deck :!: . moves supprisingly well for such a short boat, track and glides real good,has to be made to turn,biggest problem is me :roll: at 190 lbs dosn't leave much freeboard as you can see. think it'll be great for 120 lb paddler.

[url][Image/url]
Phishtech
Type of boat I like: Laker Okwata TV 15-29

Post by Phishtech »

If you can stand another 1 ft. of length, the Eno would have been perfect for a big fella like you, it'll hold up to 400 lbs. After studying the Eno plans for a while now, I'm real tempted to build one as my "bayou boat".

BTW, as usual, you've done a great job on your boat build, looks really nice...............Phishtech
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Hey phish, yes going to have to go longer for this fat ol boy, the Laker met my criteria as far as transportation but not in practical use. Now the weight was a pleasant suprise under 20 lb.

MM
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Did the sides feel stable enough without any support? If you go longer would you consider the Laker configuration in 13' or 14'?
Very good looking boat.

Thanks
Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Richard,there was flex in the sides but think it was acceptable. Stiill considering some detachable deck system (playing with that now). Failing that thwarts could double as backrest support/footbrace, verdict still out on this.

MM
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

I've always thought a deck could be made with 4 'standards' to fit down into the square places in your rub rails. Maybe held down with short bungees inside. It wouldn't be water proof, but would be 'water repellent' as it would shed most of a wave or whatever tries to break over the bow, and it would be there to shore up the sides so they couldn't flex to much. Just food for thought.

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!