Canoe Outriggers

Builder show and discuss their progress.
ralphobarly
Type of boat I like: Trapper designs

Canoe Outriggers

Post by ralphobarly »

Hey people,

I'm going to be using my trapper for fishing out in the bay a bit. Never in any chop, but sometimes there are waves so I'd like to add an outrigger. Does anyone here have any plans for such a project? The prefab ones are a little out of my price range.

Thanks in advance

Matthew
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Canoe Outriggers

Post by jem »

I have some I was tinkering with. You want to be the test pilot?
-Matt. Designer.
ralphobarly

Post by ralphobarly »

Sounds like fun. I'm just finishing up my trapper now and I've got some epoxy and fiberglass left over.

Thanks

Matthew
firestang
Type of boat I like: wadefish

Post by firestang »

Now thats something id like to see. Alot of kayakers out there are very interested in outriggers at the moment :lol:
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Everything I've seen has fixed "hard" connections with nuts and bolts. To me, that doesn't sound right. Seems to me the system should allow for some limited flexing and movement.

I'm thinking something that lashes to thwarts or eye pads with bungee cord.
-Matt. Designer.
ralphobarly

Post by ralphobarly »

I agree. I'm not about to put holes in my pretty trapper! I initial thought was to lay a 2x4 across the top with 1 eye bolt facing down on each side. Then take a ratchet strap and hook it onto the eye bolts and tighten up! However, that can't be applied once out in the water which is really what I'm looking for if possible. I've got a little bit of a paddle before I get to my fishing spot ;)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Rough sketches. Beam would typically have a notch or ridge to ensure the parts don't slide off them.

The outrigger has a sharp v-bottom. Kinda hard to tell in these pictures.

Beams could be aluminum or made from laminated wood. I envision poles getting bungee-tied to the canoe thwarts and lashed at the other end with the outrigger. A little flex is a good thing in something that is removable and not an integral part of the hull.

-Matt. Designer.
firestang
Type of boat I like: wadefish

Post by firestang »

MATT!!!!!
That is fantastic :D :D :D
I'm imagining one on each side and a big bugger of a sail somewhere.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

The key is going to be a mounting system on the outrigger that is easy to construct in the workshop and assemble for use on the water. The sketches above show a "T" mount just as a concept. But a more supportive "wedge" type set up might be more appropriate. Distribute the loads better.

I was hoping to have the beams constructed of just a straight pole for simplicity. But looking at the design, that might force the outrigger to be really oddly shaped. Might be easier to come with a generic outrigger and then design the beam shape for each hull.

By the way, for you "purists", I'm avoiding using the terms "aka" (the connecting beam) and "ama" (the out rigger float) to describe the parts so I don't confuse myself or others. :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Also worth mentioning: for sailing, the beams have to about 1.5" of laminating plywood or a 2" diameter aluminum pole. For paddling, 1" laminated ply or 1.5" aluminum pole.

But again, a straight aluminum pole requires a different out rigger design.

Round and round we go! :roll:
-Matt. Designer.