Orbital sander?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Orbital sander?

Post by goanywhere »

Hi all. I will be needing an orbital sander for my upcoming build. I don't have too much coin so I would appreciate a bit of advice on what would be the minimum quality I would need. I see Hitachi orbital sanders for around AU$120. Are these any good?
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Orbital sander?

Post by jem »

Hitachi makes some good quality. I used a Dewalt and it gets the job done.
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

I bought a cheap one (Ozito) a while back and while it does the job ok on timber I find I can't use it to smooth glassed areas because it is too vicious. I think the important thing is to get a variable speed ROS - mine isn't and I regret not spending the extra. The other thing with Ozito is that the velcro pad is rubbish - I only recently discovered that this is a common problem and am contemplating trying to get some sort of warranty recompense.

As for Hitachi, I'm not familiar with their sanders but I recently bought a Hitachi jigsaw and it is very good. I perceive them as a quality brand.

As a final comment, you really don't need a ROS to build a S&G boat - but it will probably be handy for other stuff and it's always nice to have an excuse to buy new toys :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I'm not itching to spend money on tools I don't really need, but someone told me that it was pretty essential, that there was to much sanding to do it by hand. I don't know, that's why I am hammering this forum! :)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Careful application of epoxy will save LOTS of sanding. Use just enough epoxy to get the task done. Not a drop more. Prep your work to an extreme degree. Plenty of masking tape. Work neat and clean up runs and drips while they are still in a liquid state.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

So you are saying that if I do that the sanding will be not too much?

I think my little outrigger build project will come in handy to hone some skills and ultimately make life a bit easier.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

You'll still have to do some sanding.

But not nearly as much if you are sloppy with the epoxy and glob it on haphazardly. You'll be cleaning up minor surface imprefections versus trying to level out uneven application.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Ok, that clarifies it. I think I'll proceed without the sander and only buy one if it seems that it is needed either because my arms give out or if I'm more sloppy than I think I will be. Thanks! :lol:
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

Get a sander Mate. You're gonna want it.....Hitachi, Bosch, Makita are all good. Try the second hand joints if you don't want to outlay for a new one. If you are anything like the rest of the inmates on this forum, you'll be looking at your next build before this one is done.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Whirly wrote:Get a sander Mate. You're gonna want it.....Hitachi, Bosch, Makita are all good. Try the second hand joints if you don't want to outlay for a new one. If you are anything like the rest of the inmates on this forum, you'll be looking at your next build before this one is done.
Hahaha you make it sound like a sentence. You might be right. I will check out a few second hand places, I have picked up some real bargains from them at times, as well as some real s@#t, but it's worth a look. I've already planned on buying a jigsaw, that's a no brainer.