Orbital sander?

Ask your questions here. Guests welcome to post!
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Orbital sander?

Post by Bemm 52 »

A sander is a must but the brand isn't that important pick one that has clips for paper not velcro.
Paper is cheaper by the roll and you will use heaps.
I find a scraper more effective than sanding and a lot more plesant to use
Cheers Paul PS Sabalo is my favorite.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

You mean a metal scraper with a sharp edge? I have used those before for working plastics, cleaning up plastic mouldings etc.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Cabinet scrapers.
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

There has been some confusion about scraper terminology in past threads.

A cabinet scraper in Australia is a piece of steel plate that is given a cutting edge by burring the edge over with a round shaft run along it under pressure. It is useful for smoothing timber that has swirly grain or burl etc. and is frequently resharpened.

The scraper recommended for excess epoxy removal is a pull scraper with a carbide blade and is shown below in this pic pinched from one of Mick's posts. They are available in paint shops and some hardware stores. I have seen something similar for between $20 and $25.

Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

You are right.

Cabinet scrapers are more fine fine woodworking while PAINT (or pull) scrapers are like the one pictured. I use both versions but get a lot of use out of the paint/pull scraper.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

I use the back edge of a chisel. Held almost vertical and pulled with heaps of pressure. Lotsa re sharpening but I'm not likely to wear it out using it properly, as a chisel :roll:
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I'll look for those. Thanks. Anything else I should look at getting? There seems to be so much that comes to light only by asking questions. :?
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I am definitely buying a jigsaw after today's effort at playing with epoxy and ply to make some skegs for my current yak. More like a play session than anything else but hey, it's practice.

The cutting out with a hand jigsaw convinced me not to attempt a yak build with anything less than a power one.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

An update on the sander. I ended up buying a Bosch orbital sander 120mm. I am so glad I did. I have used it on the pontoon build. Apart from ripping through the sanding in about a quarter of the time I would take by hand, I get an almost endless supply of fillet material from the collection box on the sander. The dust is nice and fine and is ideal for filleting or making thick glue. And I was able to buy the Bosch at a good price on special.

Thanks for the tip Bemm 52.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

john the pom wrote:I use the back edge of a chisel. Held almost vertical and pulled with heaps of pressure. Lotsa re sharpening but I'm not likely to wear it out using it properly, as a chisel :roll:
Goanywhere......this is very effective to remove excess epoxy and easy on the ears.

Cheers Paul