Started with a bargain buy.

Builder show and discuss their progress.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Re: Started with a bargain buy.

Post by goanywhere »

Taking into account that the skeg project was mainly an excuse to play with epoxy and fibreglass as much as to actually make something practical I think I have a solution that will work well enough even if it doesn't last for too long. My current yak is a cheapie and was never intended to be passed down to my grandkids in pristine condition. If I get a couple of seasons out of them that will be fine. I don't plan to be paddling this one much after my next fishing trip next week. It will be all hands on with the build, and too cold to do much paddling anyway.

I'll try just epoxying the aluminium brackets to the skegs and glassing over them and see how they come up. It will give me an excuse to mix some filleting material and practice on a bit of glass.

My next project - a pair of outriggers - I will take a bit more seriously, and after that I'll be ready to start my yak build I think. I am getting things together that I will need, saw horses, a jigsaw, all the build materials, spring clamps etc. etc. while I muck around with these learning projects, and that will take time and discussion on forums anyway.

I'll try to post a sketch of the outriggers I'm planning to build for comment some time over the next few weeks.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

I fibreglassed some aluminium to a skeg back in the early '80s.
I scored all the flat surfaces of the al with a rasp to give the epoxy something to key to.

Cheers Mike
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Manjimike wrote:I fibreglassed some aluminium to a skeg back in the early '80s.
I scored all the flat surfaces of the al with a rasp to give the epoxy something to key to
How is it now, holding up? :wink:

Seriously, I have stuck metals together with 'Araldite' before and they have stayed stuck pretty well, I don't have any worries about the brackets coming off any time soon.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

With proper surface prep, you'll get a good bond with aluminum. I would never rely on a "face-only" bond. I'd have the fiberglass encasing the aluminum somehow.
-Matt. Designer.
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

goanywhere wrote:
Manjimike wrote:I fibreglassed some aluminium to a skeg back in the early '80s.
I scored all the flat surfaces of the al with a rasp to give the epoxy something to key to
How is it now, holding up? :wink:
No idea, I left it on Cocos (Keeling) Island in 1983
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

This is a photo of the skegs cut out and the brackets positioned. I applied a coating of epoxy on the skegs on one side, placed the brackets on this and then layed a sheet of glass over the top. I had to make cuts in the glass to allow it to be positioned either side of the brackets.

I discovered that the fibreglass would not flex enough to go right into the corners where the brackets are positioned (I should have filleted them. Too late now). So I waited for the epoxy to gel and then applied more to the ridges. Still not perfect but the ridges are almost fully filled. I will live with a couple of air bubbles under the glass.

I only did one side. When the epoxy cures I will trim the edges and do the other sides, then when they are cured I will run a narrow strip around the edge. I may have to cut slits in the tape to get around the tight bends.

I have learned heaps about epoxy and fibreglass from this little project. I also learned how to use a jigsaw, which I haven't used before. (I have led such a sheltered life!)

I will do a bit of sanding to clean the little bumps etc and then I will do a second coat of glass. That will be all I can get to before I go away fishing. When I come back I will paint them.

I am going to have to install another inspection port in the bottom of the rear well of my yak to be able to fit the skegs. I don't trust just screwing them on, I'm going to fit them with small nuts and bolts. I will also use hot melt glue to reinforce the fittings to the hull and make them water tight.

Another thing I learned is that is is difficult to mix 4:1 epoxy in tiny amounts by 'guestimation'. My first batch was really good, but I think my second batch had too much hardener, and hasn't fully cured hard. I have applied the glass with another coat over that which has cured fully and hopefully should be strong enough.

These skegs could end up an inch thick and hard as rock! :roll:

Learning heaps!
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Since you always refer to skegs (as in two) in your posts, are you putting two skegs on one kayak?
Why two, when one is the norm, unless it is a surf kayak?

Just wondering.

DM
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I have seen two skegs on a Mission 390, and the hull of my yak is similar. It has two 'gutters' that make it common sense to have two skegs. Also, with two I get twice the surface area and double the tracking assistance. I sail my yak and need as much resistance to 'weather cocking' as I can get. And thirdly, I can make smaller skegs that will be stronger and less likely to break if I get dumped on the beach.

My yak's hull:

Test mounting:

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Bummer your photos didn't load :x
Manjimike

Post by Manjimike »

Photos were there this morning but not now

Cheers Mike